• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Things to watch out for

Flipperneck

LawnSite Member
I've been reading and I don't think I seen anything yet but it just may have slipped by. Some of the new guys haven't worked for a Professional Landscape or Maintenance co.. And there are alot of things that easy to mess up. Like this one guy last year wanted me to leave where I work now to run his crews because he was a builder and bought a bunch of accounts and wanted to make some money. I gave him a test run on a saturday. He had a couple of gringos and 3 south american guys. they were averageing 15 lawns a day(horrible). They left clumps everywhere, weedwhacked down to the dirt, left peel out marks with their ZTR, blew grass into the mulch or stone beds, one house a new Volvo was covered with wet grass, they left globs in the street, semi destroyed a gate, ran over toys and a newspaper(that was pretty like a tickertape parade). I got payed cash at the end of the day and never went back to that circus again. I think he gave up after 2 more weeks when he finish the first weeks list. I just wanted to list some of this stuff to maybe help someone out. Like not weedwhacking young trees to death, not putting a heavy mower on a soggy lawn, weedwhacking at the height of the cut so you can't tell whats whacked and whats mowed, A ZTR can be fast and easy but some lawns can't take the weight and usually the operator. I thought some stuff like that might help. Anyone else.

tedk

LawnSite Member
yea, it sounds like he could have used some help. he should have hired a good foreman, who could take on the responsibility of teaching the crewmembers and running a productive crew. sounds like a foreman of that caliber, taking on (you said 'crews')at least 2 crews and 5 guys would be worth 18-20$/hr. i would want to see a good track record before paying that much though.

OP
F

Flipperneck

LawnSite Member
This guy had 90 lawns at 37 dollars each he got ripped off, Me and 1 guy could have done these in 50 hours. He would still be losing money. One of these 37 dollar lawns was 3 acres. Now I am a good Forman and I have a great track record, but I am in this for me. I see a ship sinking I get the hell out of the way. I gave him some advice though, I told him he got ripped off and gave him some estimates on what the properties were worth. You want to do volunteer work I'll give you his phone number. I don't know where he would find a "Good" grumpy old moron to listen to though.