Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im thinking about adding a 24hp excavator because this year I've been getting more calls for that type of work but I'm also thinking of the tlb just to do both and I can rent the excavator anytime. still going to be doing a lot of mowing this year but we do driveways and have done land clearing in the past so I'm just thinking what has anyone else gone with?

· Registered
2006 Ford F-150
154 Posts
the tlb will be more versatile, but the excavator will be more compact. if you only need the functions of the excatvator, get it. if you need that plus loader/tractor work, get the tlb.

· Registered
3,339 Posts
I had a small 30hp tractor/loader for years. It is pretty versatile for landscape work. I had a few attachments: lesco 3 pt aerator, forks, harley rake, york rake, brush cutter, snow thrower. A TLB has the backhoe of course, but if it can't be removed, it limits your options.

I think a tractor/loader and a mini-ex is a perfect combination for maintenance and small landscaping work.

· Registered
2006 Ford F-150
154 Posts
I had a small 30hp tractor/loader for years. It is pretty versatile for landscape work. I had a few attachments: lesco 3 pt aerator, forks, harley rake, york rake, brush cutter, snow thrower. A TLB has the backhoe of course, but if it can't be removed, it limits your options.

I think a tractor/loader and a mini-ex is a perfect combination for maintenance and small landscaping work.
most backhoe attachments for tractors can be removed, but i believe most heavy equipment-class backhoe loaders have the backhoe built in.

· Registered
962 Posts
I have a fairly old Kubota B7800 with a subframe mounted backhoe. I can put the backhoe on or off in about 5 minutes (it helps that it is on dollies on a concrete floor so I can shift it into position as needed to align with tractor). While it may not be the ideal equipment for every purpose, with attachments the versatility for digging / loading / scraping / mowing / augering / dragging / spraying / hoisting and much more makes it a good choice for me.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the tlb will be more versatile, but the excavator will be more compact. if you only need the functions of the excatvator, get it. if you need that plus loader/tractor work, get the tlb.
about what I was thinking because I'm bidding a driveway job and the guy wants the ditch dug out couldn't do it with a backhoe so I can rent the excavator but when he wants the rest of the driveway put in I figured I can do that with a backhoe

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

yeah the Kubota's well the newer ones the backhoe on most can be removed and the tractor attachments can be put on I think the john deere was the same when they made them

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a fairly old Kubota B7800 with a subframe mounted backhoe. I can put the backhoe on or off in about 5 minutes (it helps that it is on dollies on a concrete floor so I can shift it into position as needed to align with tractor). While it may not be the ideal equipment for every purpose, with attachments the versatility for digging / loading / scraping / mowing / augering / dragging / spraying / hoisting and much more makes it a good choice for me.
I figured bidding jobs ya price in your gonna be slower than a guy with a mini or a skid I think can get 75-90 with the backhoe and like 100-150 per the mini and skid so I mean just gotta know that there 6-hour job might take you 8 but if your pricing it right you will get it done and still be cheaper. plus my whole thought is transportation and only being by my self I don't have a worker that can help run equpimet

· Registered
7,785 Posts
Hands down a 3 ton class mini-X I've done both and it's way more useful. Must haves is a thumb, 1 and 2 foot digging buckets and 3 foot grading bucket.

· Registered
7,322 Posts
If your looking at a 35 sized mini ex, you could haul it and a skid steer on a gooseneck trailer to help in mobilization. The 35 sized machine is a good size, big enough you can dig waterlines and so forth with enough lift capacity to be able to put a decent sized rock retaining walls. Yet its light enough that you can transport it easily. A skid steer is just so much faster than a compact tractor or TLB. The 180 degree limitation on a backhoe always seems to be an issue on smaller jobs. There issues with a SSL is it making a mess at times, laying down plywood can be an option on sensitive ground, goes back to what you want to do with it.

· Registered
23,648 Posts
Mini- Ex is going to be way more productive for digging than a backhoe.

Backhoes are kind of good at a lot of things but great at nothing.

Reactions: m_ice

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started with a TLB because I couldn’t afford a mini and skid and then I bought a mini. I sold the backhoe after the mini purchase and bought a skid steer. Or CTL actually. The order you buy things really depends on what you’re doing.
I can afford the mini could probably buy a bobcat 753 or something older for the skid for the time being

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your looking at a 35 sized mini ex, you could haul it and a skid steer on a gooseneck trailer to help in mobilization. The 35 sized machine is a good size, big enough you can dig waterlines and so forth with enough lift capacity to be able to put a decent sized rock retaining walls. Yet its light enough that you can transport it easily. A skid steer is just so much faster than a compact tractor or TLB. The 180 degree limitation on a backhoe always seems to be an issue on smaller jobs. There issues with a SSL is it making a mess at times, laying down plywood can be an option on sensitive ground, goes back to what you want to do with it.
well I like the Yanmar and I like Takeuchi I'm not a fan of my local kubota dealer which is a shame. either way this year I wanna grow at a good rate and add more services. a backhoe I know id still have to rent a mini I was just thinking of a starter machine and then going that way. the whole issue here is money because I don't have enough of it to buy everything brand new with no payments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts