1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about Christmas Tree farm

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by rusty_keg_3, Jun 28, 2009.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, heres the deal, i am 17, and just took over me and my older brothers company. Well, kinda i will just run the business.Anywho, we live in Northwest Ohio, and have some average at our moms place. We plow in the winter with two trucks, but in the 08-09 winter, we only plowed like 10 times. Which aint bad, i think we could some plant christmas trees, but need advice.

Ok, we would plant them on a 1000ft(long) by 300ft(wide), portion of land. I figured like 10- 20 ft isles in between trees (width), and space trees out like 8ft long way. We would plant like 100-200 trees each year. I figure like 5 years for them to reach the desired size....

So five years later, lets say you come to buy a tree. We drive you and you family out there, and you pick the tree, and we cut it right there. Haul it up front, and u pay for it. And we could deliver them too, but aint sure how much that would be.

Cost of finished trees, i have a few ideas,
    1. Charge by the height... Like $10 per foot (height) so a 5ft tree is $50, maybe $8 per foot, but we would have five years to figure it all out.

2. Flat Rate...... like $50 for any tree. But think that would suck.

Well, input and ideas would be nice, Thanks
    Russell

2. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

i want 2 buy a farm and do that and put my **** on it

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

A tree farm will actualy make more $ by property tax saving because of ag tax rate then selling the trees.

4. OP
    OP
    rusty_keg_3

So how dose that work? Like The area or the number of trees?

5. OP
    OP
    rusty_keg_3

bump.......

6. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

There are a lot of tree farms here in PA. I'd recommend letting people cut their own, while offering to cut it for them if they want; a lot of people like to cut their own tree. One big drawback is, if you get bad weather for a couple of weekends in December everyone will just get a tree at Lowe's and you're screwed. You might be in a better position than most since it looks like you want to do this on the side instead of as your primary job; you could ride out a year like that more easily than someone whose livelihood depends on it. Look around at the competition in your area - are Christmas tree farms just scraping by, or is there a big crowd in December? I don't know whether your location is suburban or rural, but if you had a lot of houses go up in the recent real estate boom, you might have a lot of customers. That's exactly what happened at the farm I used to get my tree at; the area around it got built up rapidly in the early 2000's and the place got way too crowded for a nice family outing (but their Christmas tree business is booming).

7. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

Charge by height; that's what every place around me does.

8. OP
    OP
    rusty_keg_3

1-I heard you cant let people cut their own trees for safety reasons...
    2-Their are quite a few Christmas tree places, but they bring trees in, and if we grew trees, you would advertise something like "the freshest trees" or something to the effect...
    3-we live in a rural area, but it isnt the stix... Toledo is a 20 min drive...

9. OP
    OP
    rusty_keg_3

ok, thanks

10. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

All the tree farms around here let you cut your own; I cut mine every year. If all the other places around you bring trees in, that's good; then you can advertise as a place to cut your own tree (or at least get a fresh one). Your location sounds ideal - close enough to a decent-sized city that you'll have customers. Too far out in the sticks and it would probably have to be wholesale only.