Thinking about Christmas Tree farm

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by rusty_keg_3, Jun 28, 2009.

1. JB1

JB1 LawnSite Fanatic

2. OP
    OP
    rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks, ill look over it...

3. birdman0494

birdman0494 LawnSite Member

not trying to jack the thread but this is one of the more productive threads on here. Too many kids my age waste time on here, And my 2 cents you could easily sell a few on craigslist

4. OP
    OP
    rusty_keg_3

Thanks, but i have my fair share of non productive threads, and thanks i didnt think about craigslist...

5. golfnpreacher

golfnpreacher LawnSite Member

The "tradition" in our family is to go cut the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. We gone to the same "farm" for the past 12 years.

All I can say is the guy that runs it has all sorts of side deals, but he says it is a whole lot of work for a little bit of money. The biggest is trimming to shape the trees in the summer.

6. OP
    OP
    rusty_keg_3

Thats a cool tradition! And i didnt even think about trimming the trees... That could kinda suck.

7. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

There are all sorts of Christmas Tree Grower Assoc., check there for added imput. Trimming the trees isn't bad, goes very quick. But like anything you need the knowledge behind you, certain types of trees grow better at differnt times trim at the wrong time & you screw yourself (loose that years growth). Really research it.

8. OP
    OP
    rusty_keg_3

any ideas on websites, associations and stuff like that?

9. OP
    OP
    rusty_keg_3

More input please......

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Do you own the land. Some of the best advantages to a xmass tree farm is the agricultural tax rate.