• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Thinking about firing someone

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Member
What have you done to address the employees deficiencies? How clear are your expectations to them? I believe in always giving a warning. I've seen some remarkable turn-arounds when you're clear with an employee that they aren't meeting expectations and that they're on probation.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
Thinking about letting someone go.
  • Ran a mower out of oil
  • Forgot to latch trailer and caused damage
  • Report from client about sitting in truck not working
  • Told client we would do some trimming Wednesday. Client quit as it didn't get done
  • Complaints about quality of work
  • and he is sloooow

I think I just talked myself into it. :laugh:
Time to do this one a favor and let them move on to something else :waving:

RussellB

LawnSite Fanatic
What have you done to address the employees deficiencies? How clear are your expectations to them? I believe in always giving a warning. I've seen some remarkable turn-arounds when you're clear with an employee that they aren't meeting expectations and that they're on probation.
I’m not sure how an employee runs a mower out of oil. Does no one check it during routine maintenance? Are there records of maintenance? If so, are the accurate or false? Seems like more than one person may not be fully on top of their job.

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
We have people like that, one thought ATF stood for AnTiFreeze. Added a few gallons to the truck, gummed the whole system. Some cant put air in the tire, others have no idea how many air tanks are on the truck. Comes down to two types of people, ones that are not trained, or one that doesnt care and only motivation is to make it till friday.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Thinking about letting someone go.
  • Ran a mower out of oil
  • Forgot to latch trailer and caused damage
  • Report from client about sitting in truck not working
  • Told client we would do some trimming Wednesday. Client quit as it didn't get done
  • Complaints about quality of work
  • and he is sloooow

I think I just talked myself into it. :laugh:
Sounds like a really beauty.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic