• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Thinking about firing someone

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
I fired a guy last year and even offered to help him set up his own thing. I liked him, he just had attendance problems. He's working for me again.
Wow, seems like your a pretty cool boss!

Matthews Lawn Care

LawnSite Gold Member
Thinking about letting someone go.
  • Ran a mower out of oil
  • Forgot to latch trailer and caused damage
  • Report from client about sitting in truck not working
  • Told client we would do some trimming Wednesday. Client quit as it didn't get done
  • Complaints about quality of work
  • and he is sloooow

I think I just talked myself into it. :laugh:
Yep, he’s done. Can’t let that behavior be acceptable for 1 guy and not another. Dang sure wouldn’t want another guy doing similar things. Time for him to be the example of how to lose a job.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Have him train his replacement. Seriously though, this schmuck has no business working for you. He’s only hurting your bottom line. It sounds like he is taking advantage of your easy going nature. I would have some choice words for him. If you did want to be cool about it, you could try giving him a 2 weeks notice so he can look for another job- but if he is petty you could face quality control issues/ damaged equipment etc

OP
JFGLN

JFGLN

LawnSite Gold Member
Have him train his replacement. Seriously though, this schmuck has no business working for you. He’s only hurting your bottom line. It sounds like he is taking advantage of your easy going nature. I would have some choice words for him. If you did want to be cool about it, you could try giving him a 2 weeks notice so he can look for another job- but if he is petty you could face quality control issues/ damaged equipment etc
I let him go Friday. Will get thru the year with current crew. Thanks for all the replies.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Yeah I respect that too. The guy probably doesn’t have it very easy, raising 5 kids on a lawn mower wage would be pretty hard. Hopefully this is a wake up call and he takes his next job more seriously