Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you guys but I'm thinking about what to do better or what to do next year. I think I'll raise my minimum from $7.50 to $10.00, yes, I will trim every week Guido, and I will probably aerate and dethatch. I also still have leaves to do and don't have a backpack blower yet. Things could get messy if I don't get one. What are you guys thinking about doing for next year?

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
next year I hope to be even more prosperous than this year. which I couldn't do charging a $10 minimum.

live long and prosper (\\//).

GEO

·
Registered
870 Posts
Scag, you're listed as a SENIOR MEMBER?

Please, $10.00 minimum is an insult.

A $25 - $35 minimum is standard. No lawn should ever be done less than $20.

You do yourself, this industry and this forum a disservice.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
SCAG48 ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?????

This is a joke right?? Maybe the dude that wants to be on call 24 hours a day for $40 a month or whatever to pick up dog crap is your boss!!

What you should be worried about next year is scoring that job at McDonalds so you can make more than $4 an hour!

LOL :) :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm new at replying but I have been reading the posts you guys have been sending. I charge $35/hour with a $35 minimum. I work full time 40 hrs/week, cut three residential yards and three cemeteries. I also have a landscape and vinyl fence business. I don't think I am overcharging because people are paying it. I don't work all this 'overtime' for fun, I do it because I want to make money. That sounds okay doesn't it? I don't want to SHOUT like that andrews guy.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys just don't get it do you?! I wish I could have a $25 minimum but I just won't happen in my town. I don't have any overhead. I could go without work for 3 months and wouldn't loose a dime. I just don't have to charge as much as you guys. I wish I could, but I can't. Why do you guys bash on people that aren't like you? If anyone is in Washington sometime, stop by, I'll show you what cheap people are like.

Andrews-Thats about all I can get. I had a lawn for 20 bucks and the lady figured she couldn't afford me and let me go after two weeks. 20 bucks! I mean, that is sad. I want a 25 dollar minimum so bad but it won't happen.

Kentlawns-If I were you, I would watch what I say. I don't know if I've even seen you on here before. Where do you live? I live in cheapville USA.

Jeffyr-HaHaHa. You're funny. I mow an acre for 30 dollars.

Guido-I think McDonalds sucks. I don't even have one in town. The nearest one is 40 miles away.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I guess your just $hit out of luck man!! Is there any "real" LMO's in your city, or village as you describe it? I wonder if they charge $7 a yard too? If they do let me know, I'll move them all down south and they can work for me while I sit here in Germany and collect checks!! :)

Who are you to tell Kent what to say?? Thats his opinion!! Its a lot of our opinions actually, sorry!! Whats the difference if you've seen him post around here or not?

I think if you raise your prices to $20 and your "customers" and grandma let you go, let your cousin do the damn lawns like you said he was going to.

Man I really feel sorry for you if the conditions where you are are as bad as you say. If that really is the truth (WHICH I HIGHLY DOUGHT) than maybe a LMO does not have a place there.

·
Moderator, Friend, Angel
11,797 Posts
We get it Scag. Apparently it is you who doesn't. Or you would get the hell out of that sorry assed town as fast as you can. Go somewhere where you might amount to something.

·
Banned
2,079 Posts
Scag48 wrote:

>I don't know about you guys but I'm thinking about what to do better or what to do next year.

Maybe you will go thru puberty next year and that will take you mind from lawn care, then you won't be polluting this board with your infintile messages.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guido-I'm not kidding about the "conditions". I like mowing and I don't have to make a living so I consider myself lucky to have a business at all. Yeah, there are some other guys in town. Only 1 guy with a ZTR. The rest are guys with not much more than I have equipment wise but with a bunch of accounts. Why do you ume I charge 7 dollars? I only have one that low the rest are about at 20 bucks. 7 dollars is just my minimum. I don't care if you believe me or not about my situation. I know that I will rise above everyone else 'cuz I already have a couple people that have told me that they were going to hire me next year because the other guy was terrible. I guess I gotta keep trying.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Kent Lawns, Scag is from E.Wa.state as am I and very , very few services get a 25-35$ min. I wish I could. Most guys I talk to won't set a min either > I talk to many til I'm blue in the face but they all are afraid of losing business.
I have a 18-20.$ min.(4500 SQFT or less) and I get very few of my bids. I am 20% under the highest prices in town and I have been told to my face " your prices are the highest in town". Wages here are low, jobs are meanial, and everyone and their cousin Moe has a service . I see a new one evryday I swear. Wish things were as good here as politicians say they are.
So when you say ' 25-35$ is the standard' some us are stuck in a time warp. The big boys in my town don't get as good of price as some of you do(mowing) . And one big boy is a multi-million dollar multi-city biz.
As for you Scag , don't sell yourself short . No you can't get 35$ but you can get 15-18$ . Don't settle . 30$ an acre with a 21" . Dump that turkey now and tell the owner to go to hell.

G

·
lawrence stone wrote:
Scag48 wrote:

>I don't know about you guys but I'm thinking about what to do better or what to do next year.

>>Maybe you will go thru puberty next year and that will take you mind from lawn care, then you won't be polluting this board with your infintile messages.

Scag48- man, i need a subcontractor for lawns. want to come down here and cut mine for $5 a pop? raise the rates man, don't lo-ball it. you;re bringing down the minimum for other contractors.

:D
:)Bryan:)

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:rolleyes:

Snow-I want my minimum to be as high as others but it just won't happen. "Bringing down the minimum for other contractors". What does that mean? Just because my minimum is low doesn't mean everyone else's has to be too. Do you think that my minimum is gonna go across the country and make you lose money? I don't think so.;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well, I'm not a kid but I've felt much the same way about the 'minimum pricing' thing in my area as Scag48 has about his. I'm 32 and have had my business for 6 years. In that time I've used my earnings to buy a house, support myself and my wife and upgrade my equipment on a near-constant basis. I haven't sucked.

However, I haven't been the model of success, either. It's been a struggle, at times, working 70-80 hour weeks early on to bring home enough to pay the bills and eat our meals. Tax season nearly put me out of business many times. There's room for improvement; great room. If I had it to do all over again I would have done it differently, but I certainly don't feel I've done it 'wrong' or should be shouted down for the road I've traveled. I've made some mistakes.

I plan to fix them now, and bring up my minimums (or, really, begin to use them ;) ), but I can't do it overnight. I still cut some lawns for 7.50 a cut, so to speak. $30/month for an average of four cuts. Total time spent = 30 minutes a month. Total gross made = $60/hour at that stop. Hell, those little lawns have helped me pay my bills through the hard times and there's a lot of them in my area. And, someone has to mow them.

Truth to tell, if I cut out every lawn I make less than $20/cut on right now, I'm out of business. I have to find a way to fill in three days a week. I could take a $15/hour job somewhere to fill in the time, but that won't cover all my bills. So, I'm better off not dumping these jobs at present.

In the long run, I hope to cut them all out. I hope to look at the little jobs and laugh, as many of you do, but I'm not there yet. I want to be and, thanks to so many of you, I now have a direction and a plan to get there, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

So, my advice to folks just starting out would be: Take the small jobs if that's what's there. D'ONT ACCEPT LESS THAN A MINIMUM RATE, but don't get caught up on a minimum/cut. If someone else won't take a job that takes less than a half hour to cut so they can get their minimum $20, but you can cut four $5 lawns next to each other in that same half hour, what are you losing? Seems to add up to $40/hour in my eyes either way.

In a year, when I'm done with my $30/month lawns and are taking on only $150/month lawns or more, you can have all mine. ;)

Okay, I'm ready for the counterpunches, guys. Let me have it!

-TGC

·
Registered
501 Posts
Lawrence Stone wrote:

"Maybe you will go thru puberty next year and that will take you mind from lawn care, then you won't be polluting this board with your infintile messages."

Tim Wrote:

"Maybe your hard drive will crash someday soon, then you
won't be polluting this board with YOUR pompus a$$ed posts."

The boy has as much right to post in here as you do. Stone, you don't know him personally, and you don't know his situation. If you don't like what the boy posts, then why in the hell do you read them or respond? Same goes for some of the others above. I look at it this way, if you don't have anything nice to say or anything useful to contribute, DON'T RESPOND! Why can't we at least be respectful of each other in here? Scag is young, just like we all were at one time in our lives. He's trying to learn this business and is here to learn something, just like we all are. I give him a lot of credit. Lots of kids his age don't like to work these days. Keep up the hard work Scag, good things come to those that do that!

Tim

·
Registered
628 Posts
Scag48
were you grasboy in a former life? Just kidding; if things are that bad in your neck of the woods, you need to convince mom & pop to get outta dodge & go here the jobs are more plentiful. In a town like that, there can't be too great of a job market period for your dad. Anyways, do the best you can, & when you get a license, maybe you can mow in a better town nearby. Keep your chin (& your prices!) up!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.