Lawn Care Forum banner

Thinking about not doing installs anymore

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  TXirrigation 
#1 ·
So I've been doing installs for about 7 years now, each year with between 40-100% growth over the previous year. Its now gotten to the point that I'm just getting burnt out on it. I had 4 full time guys earlier this year, and kept them busy, but its such a pain in the ass dealing with employees as well as the stress of selling to keep them busy.

Seems like more work and less money for me and more stress and less of a life.

So, I have around 200 service accounts at this point. If I can push that to 300 next year (shouldn't be all that hard), I can basically just work for myself doing service and MAYBE an install here or there for extra $ if I feel like it.

I also do landscape lighting (started the biz as just that), so I would be doing those installs some too.

I know at least one of my competitors (and a good friend) does just service and doesn't even fool with install, and he's been in the biz for a long time and knows it well... thinking he has the right idea.

I already have a nice wire locator too... and I kept a full time service tech busy all year.. and thats starting the year with only about 125 accounts.

The installs I get leads for I would just sub out....possibly to my long-term employee if he wants to do his own thing, and then I just get the service on that install (same setup I've had with a large landscape company I do sub installs for, and it works well)...

If I sub'ed out the installs to him, I know it would get done the way I want for the customer, and most of my work is referrals...so my customers would already know him to some extent.

Thoughts??

See less See more
#5 ·
well if it were that simple i would do that. but even when i have good guys, i still have the stress of keeping them busy, meaning, i have to spend tons of time selling. just burnt on it. service is way better money too.

#6 ·
if it was me i would do both for sure...i personally enjoy installs, plus you SHOULD get the service automatically on it, so the more installs you do, the more service you get

i can see you wanting to give it to your main guy, but i can also see that being a problem as well...i would hate to only install and not get the service

#7 ·
well if it were that simple i would do that. but even when i have good guys, i still have the stress of keeping them busy, meaning, i have to spend tons of time selling. just burnt on it. service is way better money too.
that's the hard part of owning your own business...i hate it too at times, but we do everything from mowing to complete landscape installs, so we can usually put our guys to work somewhere if we need to...i had our main install helper help me install M/T/W of last week, then let him help with seeding the last couple days because we decided to hold off on the next install until next week

i know exactly where you are at tho, but keep in mind, you are at the hardest part...once your business takes off, you will have no problem booking install after install, just try to keep them 3 weeks out...also, have a trailer that you can set on site, then you take the truck and go sell

#8 ·
well, my main guy is great at installs and he enjoys them, but isn't so great at service... so it would be a win-win. and he would just gimme a flat fee for using my vibe plow on each job... so its not like im getting rid of my equipment. could always go back.

#9 ·
well, my main guy is great at installs and he enjoys them, but isn't so great at service... so it would be a win-win. and he would just gimme a flat fee for using my vibe plow on each job... so its not like im getting rid of my equipment. could always go back.
Hire better people. Hire a manager. Hire someone to sell for you. Diversify
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
ive found they usually go hand in hand. in the commercial world, install is almost always easier to keep the guys busy. we sell whole landscape installs, and have a good sales person. we usually do 2-3 installs a year (most are multiyear/phased). i have one crew that does the basic service and i coordinate the install. i will also help with the hard to troubleshoot service calls.

Lately, it seems we are trending more to have the department manager (myself, construction, and design) function as project managers. Unless there is a lot of hardscape on a project, my crews and i will take a project from groundbreaking to ribbon cutting with minimal assistance. This makes scheduling much easier.

Given all that, if i could keep busy with install, i would give up most of the service we currently do. almost all of it is "we will call you, dont do any work without a work order" type of accounts. Its almost always a 2 visit service call to get any work done.

but, i am happy to not have to deal with 2500 customers anymore.

#13 ·
It sounds like your on the cusp of either needing to get bigger to support another manager, or downsize. I was there about two years ago. We were doing 100-150 installs and I was going NUTS with stress. Now we do 350-400 and about one large commercial install a month. I have two managers, one service guy for repairs/warranty, and 10/14 guys on installs. I sit around on Lawnsite most of the day now... Kidding... Kind of
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
It sounds like your on the cusp of either needing to get bigger to support another manager, or downsize. I was there about two years ago. We were doing 100-150 installs and I was going NUTS with stress. Now we do 350-400 and about one large commercial install a month. I have two managers, one service guy for repairs/warranty, and 10/14 guys on installs. I sit around on Lawnsite most of the day now... Kidding... Kind of
Posted via Mobile Device
How big are these installs you are doing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.