Thinking of a backpack sprayer rig

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Flyoverlawns, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Flyoverlawns

Flyoverlawns LawnSite Member

Not a point where I can afford a ride-on yet, so putting together a backpack sprayer rig for blanket weed apps. I need some feedback...

I have this Chapin 4 gallon electric sprayer. Specs say 35-40 PSI.

Thinking of putting this 3 nozzle boom on it:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Y850A2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

But I am concerned about the PSI being great enough to adequately use some TeeJet AI tips.

If I go with the green AI flat spray AI80015, 30 PSI at 3MPH will give about .29 gallons per 1000K, which is where I would like to be.

I just wonder if the pump can keep up with 3 nozzles, there is also a 4 nozzle boom, but again same issue. Also I was thinking of putting the 29 PSI regulator that Chapin makes, just to be sure my pressure is consistent.

Any thoughts?

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Silver Member
    from Chicago

I have used that same set up. Pump is not strong enough for the 3 nozzle boom. It will take you longer with the boom then doing a back and forth swath with the single tip.

3. Flyoverlawns

Flyoverlawns LawnSite Member

So do you move the wand back and forth as you walk?

4. Chicagolawnguy

Chicagolawnguy LawnSite Member

Definitely want tips on this!! I'm in the same situation, starting lawn care this season and will be doing my blanket apps with backpack sprayer, until I have the means to buy a permagreen. I've read good things about the chapin 4gal battery sprayer, Ill probably start with that.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes the what the specs say is optimistic. Probably this is only with a fully charged battery at 13.2 volts. I think Big C is right. Practice on concrete. Move the wand 3 feet left and 3 feet to the right. Walk about 2.5 mph (that is 73 feet in 20 seconds.) You will apply a 6 foot swath. Aim for about .25 gallons per thousand sqft. (32 ounces.)

I am thinking the regulator is not necessary. The pressure is probably regulated by the electric components.

6. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

When working with the boom I didn't. Just the single tip wand. The Chapin sprayer just didn't put enough pressure out to make it work well. The boom leaks and I was slower compared to doing like riggle said and swathing the single tip wand. The hole reason I bought it was because I wanted a faster way to complete my properties this didn't work. Now I did test it on my pump sprayer and did like it. But I don't want to waste all the extra energy to pump when I get good results with the single wand.

Flyoverlawns likes this.
  7. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Also if you do plan on buying the boom you can find it cheaper if you look around online. I got mine for less then $30.

Flyoverlawns likes this.
  8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

9. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have the Hudson electric backpack sprayer and it couldn't run a boom with three nozzles. I did use it to do Pre-em on my lawn though....just used the back and forth motion with the wand and got it done, but its pretty slow going. My lawn is only 4k..and it took a while!

I was in the same boat as you, and I built the "walking boom" that greendoctor recommends. ARturf is providing the link that I used to build mine.

Now that said, you will need to buy the gas powered backpack sprayer. I just recently finished my walking boom, so I have very little experience with it. But it will run the three nozzle set up with the AI 04 tips at 1 gallon per 1k sq feet once you get your pace right. I can complete 1k sq feet very quickly. The width of the pattern is 5 feet, so you will cover ground quickly. With the backpack you can cover 5k on a tank running 1 gal per 1k no problem. I practiced with mine last weekend, and am trying to dial in my pace to maintain the 1 gall per 1k rate. I sprayed my 4k lawn as well. Next step will be to try it on a few of my properties that I maintain.

Still new to it, but it seems to be a viable option.

kemco likes this.
  10. kinneberg lawn service

kinneberg lawn service LawnSite Member

I have use a backback before to do some lawn 4k or so took forever to get it done. Have you considered using a push model pro lawn. I use one mounted on a mower but have heard good things from them. 53in path, covered, small droplets to you can cover more with less. Just a thought. I honestly would not make a boom for a backpack, sounds messy, and possible increased exposure, but i can't say much never tired it. best of luck.