• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Thinking of a new truck.

Green Acres

LawnSite Senior Member
I was thinking of getting a new work truck this year. The purpose of this truck will be to pull my trailer with the mowers on it and that's it. I was thinking of an F-150 with a V6 in it. My trailer is 16ft and will be holding an exmark and two walk behinds. My question is do you think this is a big enough engine or should I move up to a V8? I'm trying to cut down on some of my fuel expenses. Also a basic F-150 brand new is about $15000. Just wondering what some of you guys that have been in the biz for a few years think.

TJLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I pull my 6x12 with two w/b's and a work box on front of trailer with an s-10 2.8 v6. It does ok but it does strain a little. My next truck will be a full size with a v-8. I was told that my gas consumption will probally be less with the bigger engine because it will not have to work as hard to pull the same load. I don't know, well see.

DMC300

LawnSite Senior Member
If you're trying to cut fuel cost the v-6 is not the answer.Since it will be working harder than the v-8,it will be drinking fuel,and it will also have a shorter life span. been there done that!

SLSNursery

LawnSite Senior Member
Some folks have already posted about the cab-over trucks before. If I were you I would check into a cab over Isuzu (or equivalent), with a flatbed/beavertail combo on it. Eliminate the trailer, change to a 4 cyl diesel, and accomplish most of your goals with something that will last a while and continue to save you money in the long run. You will save more than the difference in what you invest compared to an 8 cyl. pickup.

We bought one last year to use as a box truck, and more are on the way for sure.

Scape Sculptor

LawnSite Member
Yeah, Phil or anyone that uses, what do those Isuzus run price wise? Do you lease or buy? If you lease what are the lease specifics like, compared to a lease from GM or Ford. In the trade mags, a company advertising the beds on them gave prices in the $300-400 range, It was not clear if that was just for the bed or it included the truck. Thanks, Dan

pcs

LawnSite Member
I have a F-150 2wd 4.2L v6 and pull a 12 foot trailer and two ZTR's on it. I also have a F-150 4x4 4.6L v8. I get better mileage on it than the lighter v6. Go for a V8.

Cleve

LawnSite Senior Member
I started with a box truck. Was an IVECO with a 15 ft. box and a custom made manual fold-down gate. Worked perfectly to carry all my equipment (including a Walker and a WB along with 2 Hondas) and pleanty of spare parts, supplies, etc. Bought it new in 1990 and had about $20k in it. Mileage was around 15+ with a 4 cyl. diesel. Wish I had it back. Seems that after using it 7 years or so the county zoning dept. decided I couldn't park it behind my home.
So, now I use a 16 ft. trailer behind a Ford F250 with a diesel. At least I still get about the same mileage but had to spend $30k+ to do it and still have to unload the trailer at the end of the day for storage.
There is a company south of Atlanta that is currently customizing some of the box trucks (mostly Isuzus) with a hydraulic fold down ramp that looks great. The truck also has a lot of custom equipment inside and fuel tanks on the outside rails for equipment. I think they run in the high $30k range. I got a close look at one at my local equipment dealer and was impressed. The ramp is big. Covers the entire back. Folds down and really makes a safe walkway into the truck. I think they advertise in some of the trade magazines.
I do know this would be my next route to go.
Just my .02 worth. Cleve....

Cleve

LawnSite Senior Member
That is the one. I guess I had never visited their web site. I do believe that has to be the perfect lawn care vehicle. Keep in mind that size truck can turn around almost like a car. I remember on many occasions when I could make a u-turn in the street with my Iveco. Try that while pulling a trailer. Even my F250 4X4 needs a field to turn around.
And with everything locked up inside security (and weather) is never a problem. Around here you have to be careful even while stopped at a redlight while pulling a trailer. Things can just hop off the trailer when you are not looking. I've learned to use a lock for everything between jobs. That takes extra time from work.
Cleve....

Added note: I believe I would go the lease route if I were to look at one of these. I know the one I looked at had the lease figures on the window but I don't remember the amount. Lot easier to deal with at tax time.

[Edited by Cleve on 01-08-2001 at 09:36 AM]