1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a nusery...

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by carterslandscaping08, Nov 27, 2008.

1. carterslandscaping08

carterslandscaping08 LawnSite Member

I have a good sized landscape/mowing business. There is an older guy that is getting ready to sell his nursery, which connects to my property that my shop is on. I have a really good relationship with him and buy 75% of my nursery stock from him. I have toyed around with buying the nursery and running the two side by side. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas about this idea? Anyone have this setup or started in landscaping and ended up getting into both?

2. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

I have worked with a few landscapers that run both a landscape and nursery business and seem to being do well for themselves. Good luck with what ever your choice is.

3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I have a retail & wholesale nursery (on a very small scale) and grow 95%+ of the plants that I install on the landscaping side of the business. Works for me.

4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Our nursery kept us a float the last several months last year, and saved us a load of cash for us this year. We invested a lot in the business over the last 3-4 years and finally this year we saw some good rewards from our investment. We are currently putting up our 3rd and 4th green houses up, one is a 144x20 and the other is a 30x150. We already have a 30x100 and a 30 x60 we have a 25 acre farm that this sits on.

5. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

The two work together very well. However the nursery end in itself has never been profitable for me in 5 years. Each year gets better but at times the nursery is a liability. The nursery does help with install sales though and will give your business a sense of legitimacy. Your situation is a nobrainer to me. Buy it as long as the price is right.

6. Springmeadows

Springmeadows LawnSite Senior Member

We are in our first year of starting a retail outlet for our landscaping business and it has been a really tough year. I think we can make it through it but I will evaluate it in the early Spring before renewing our lease agreement.

My advice would be keep a very close eye on your purchase price and inventory and how you are going to man it. I know for manning the retail space was tough, because it has been so slow there. It's hard to spend money on someone sitting there when work in the field needs to be done.

7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I would buy it, especially since it connects to your property. The is a big landscaping company near me that runs both. Like others said I don't think they do huge business selling supplies but they do some and it helps their lanscaping business

8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to look at the numbers and see if it makes sense. Are they making money now ? If you can walk into it with just the note and still have funds left then maybe you should go for it . Who would run the nursery for you ?