Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a lesco 60 inch 25 hp Lesco mower. Price was $6700. That is alot cheaper than anything around. I was wondering how they are for getting parts for. I do my own repairs other that internal engine problems, but need something that I can get parts for.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Around here their parts are easy to come by. I think their new Ztwo is doing much better than their previous models. I go by one of our Lesco service centers rather frequently and I haven't seen one of the new ones being worked on yet. I'm definately considering one of them if I get another ZTR. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Talk with the dealer. Parts at my dealer are usually on hand or shipped in the next day. This morning was talking with another LCO who has a coil that went out on his 4 year old 36 Lesco. Dealer can not get it in till Monday afternoon. He picks up a loaner tomorrow morning so he can stay caught up. I guess it would all depend on your dealer.

Good Luck
Rhett

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Originally posted by lightning01svt
Don't buy a lesco! Home Depot is have a sale on Muray's :D. Do some searches on Leso on this site, and you will find the info you are looking for. Good luck.
up here in our area, Home Depot sells John Deere, so I suppose there junk also??

·
Registered
50 Posts
John Deer is sold in all Home Depots. I was comparing the Murray, because what was explained to me recently, MTD makes Lesco. Along with Club Cud et. If I was told incorrectly, this would not be a good comparison. I would like to view John Deer as a little better than an MTD, so this is why I used the Murray line.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
but if you do a search on this site you will find alot of folks suggest that whatever H/D sell it not a very good brand LOL

·
Registered
50 Posts
So true, but I owned a Scott's mower when I first started out 3yrs ago. This was when they first converted to a JD Chase, but painted orange:D. Say what you will, but the Scott's finished cut ate up my Lesco's cut far as appearance. So I can't slam JD as easily as others, but I owned a Lesco. This is not second hand info. See if your dealer will let you demo a Lesco, and then see if you can demo another major competitor's mower. I understand budget is an issue for you as well as all the rest of us, but I promise you, you will be better off in the long run.

Tomorrow, call around and pretend you have a Lesco to trade in on another major brand. See if you have any better luck than the responses I got back. Compare the number of dealers for the other brands in your area and the Lesco. Price is the big issue. That is why I bought my Lesco last year. It was 2K cheaper than the JD that I was looking at at the time. Like you, I was saying no way am I going to put out 2k more for the same thing. If I only knew then what I know now. :D

Good luck on what ever you choose.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
SVT, Which Lesco did you buy? I have a Exmark and a Lesco. The Lesco cut is not as good as the Exmark but still is respectable. Though the Lesco is much more sparten then the other, it still has been a dependable durable mower. Don't believe I would buy one at full price as they are in the same ball park as allot of other manufacturers but they do have some great sales in the off season. I paid 800 for a demo 52 belt with 17 electric Kawasaki with 8 hours on it.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
lightningsvt--what is your advice for lawnman? are you telling him to buy a murray rider instead of the lesco?

so far all you've said is that, do a search and your scotts had a prettier cut than your lesco. oh yeah, and try to trade it and see what happens.

what lesco unit did/do you have? I'd like to see your scotts out cut my lesco 48/14/belt.

rhett--where am I when the pass out those deals?;)

GEO

·
Registered
50 Posts
geogunn --- I apologize if I have confused you trying to follow me. What I am telling you is not by a Leso. This is from past problems with my unit that I had. When I started asking for help on my Lesco, I started to find that allot of Lesco owners where having the same problems. During that same time frame, I was informed that MTD is the manufacture of the Lesco mower. If this is true, what I was referring to was that Murray would be MTD's competitor. Now we both know that hopefully the Leso would out cut the Murray far as finished product, but dependability over the long term maybe the same. My Lesco blew the motor w/130hrs on it. The Scott's mower, which is/was made by JD, was a lighter frame unit. This could be the advantage why in my area it had a better finished product. Now far as time, of course the zero turn, 54 cut monster would out cut it. What I am saying is the finished cut looked better from my Scott's. Remember this, I am not picking on a product that I have no working knowledge of. I had the Lesco for year and a few days before it went to h***! Now all brand will have their various issues. If you do searches on the Lesco product, you will find many more issues with the Lesco than others brands. If you can afford the down time, Lesco for the money would be your choice. Just don't look to do a trade in on it, or you will get the same song I got. "You'd be better off selling it out right." "Their is not a dealer w/in 40 miles of here. It will be to hard for me to sell." I hope your mower is doing well for you, and I hope you never have a problem, but if you where buying new mower, I would suggest you not have a Lesco in your choices. Just me $.02. Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Not trying to pick a fight, but sounds like more a motor manufacturer problem than a Lesco. The first motor on my exmark lasted a grand total of almost 2 hours. Five days later I had a new one and it has been fine.(Man those were a long five days pushing a Murray 21 ) Take a look at your finances, dealer service and what you need in a mower. Are going to discharge, mulch or bag? I would love a 6500 dollar walk behind. Also know that at this point in time could not justify the cost.

Geogun, Every year during the off season the local dealer gets rid of the demos. They usually give the big spenders first notice. Buddy is the head mechanic and purchaser for one of the huge local companies. He clues me in and I buy him lots of beer. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently purchased a lesco 60" z-two and have nothing but good things to say about it. It has increased my productivity level incredibly while not sacrificing quality of work. I have put about 180 hours on it and have had just a few small problems which were my own fault. I don't have any experience with any other ztr but have been extremely happy with the z two.

Any mower will have problems with the quality of cut if you don't maintain them properly. However, if you keep the tire pressure the same, the blades sharpened, and the deck leveled on occasion, the cut should be great as mine has been.

Good luck making your decision, but I just couldn't justify the extra 2-3 grand for what appeared to be the same design (fab decks), same motors, and the same warranty. About the only thing mine doesn't have that I would like is a suspension seat and a cup holder. Comparing apples to apples while doing my research, the lesco had everything the exmark/others had with the exception of reputation.

Now, lesco may have a bad reputation as will be with any new company entering the commercial mowing industry, but they have done there research and development and overall the z-two is a great product.

Okay, I'm done......

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Originally posted by Rhett
Not trying to pick a fight, but sounds like more a motor manufacturer problem than a Lesco. The first motor on my exmark lasted a grand total of almost 2 hours. Five days later I had a new one and it has been fine.(Man those were a long five days pushing a Murray 21 ) Take a look at your finances, dealer service and what you need in a mower. Are going to discharge, mulch or bag? I would love a 6500 dollar walk behind. Also know that at this point in time could not justify the cost.

Geogun, Every year during the off season the local dealer gets rid of the demos. They usually give the big spenders first notice. Buddy is the head mechanic and purchaser for one of the huge local companies. He clues me in and I buy him lots of beer. :D
so your exmark is junk like a lesco (just kidding), would not recommend it to anyone, wait a second, your name brand motor broke, not the exmark. I don't understand why people think their brand of mowers are junk and would not recommend it to anyone when the kaw or kohlor motor that blew up on your exmark is the same motor options on just about every mower.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the lexco z-two is great.. i demoed on and the only thing i didnt like was that the deck was fixed.. it wasnt floating... and the hydarlic cooling fan area filled up with dry grass really quick... this was on a day where it was 100+ degreess out and i was mowing 3 ft high grass... everything else was great about it i just didnt like that it didnt have a floating deck.
the parts are excellent.. if my wb were ever to break down.. bam id have a loaner till it got fixed... 99% of the time they have the parts... if you ever wlak in a lesco service center.. its a warehouse for a reason they stock 99% of there products... there is no comparison between murray and lesco dont even go there.. i abosolutley love my lesco walk behind it is basic as it gets for a hydro and it gets the job done great every time... unless i forget to sharpen the baldes every now and then.. lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
i bought an mtd commericial 48 WB,, JUNK JUNK JUNK

my dealer said it was a lesco hydro walk-behind

exact same thing---the gear drives are ok but i dont know about
the hydro

the JD at home depot is junk,, HD made JD come up with some
cheaper (cheaper made) models so they would look like a JD

The real old style JD's were good , the new are junk

there all MTD"S

·
Registered
50 Posts
colonel landscaping --- I had the same issues w/mine. The other thing I had a problem with was on inclines, the scalping wheels are mounted on the far front corners of the deck. When you make a turn, normally they would dig into to ground. If you tried to float the deck w/the deck pedal, it was like tiring pump a 100lbs w/ur foot. The foot pedal on mine was not easy to use when the mower handles where in the proper position. The ExMark allows you use of the pedal allot easier when the mower is in use, and the deck does not try to dig into the ground on inclines as much as my Lesco did. The ExMark just drives so much easier and more responsive. I can swear that I have knocked of a few minutes on some of the yards I do, because I don't have to Battle the mower as much. I am not having as much wear on the lawns, because it is a bit lighter.

hustlers --- Don't take me wrong on the Murray, JD, and the HD thing. I am not suggesting you go and purchase a mower from HD to do your yards. Just a good comparison far as durability with my Leso. lol I could have just had a bad apple, and this is why I have such a bad view on Leso. Could have also just been the dealer. All I can honestly tell you is, the ExMark will cut rings around my old Leso.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I will now throw in my .02 on this once again. I have a two yr old Z-two 60" 25 Kaw, and have not had one second of problems with it mechanically. I also know of at least five other units same story. I will grant lightning that yes at first I did gouge a few, but I figured out how to avoid that with experience on the mower. I have mowed props from 3/4 acre to over 10acres and have been pleased on all. In my opinion this mower does an excellent job of not scalping uneven yards and has been extremely reliable. Although I changed my oil and filter every 25 hours for the first 100hrs, and than as needed. Blades take about 15 min to change and greasing takes about another 15 min. Yes, clean off the fans about every 2 hours of cutting or after every prop. Also get plenty of foam prefilters and change every day. I payed $6200 for mine and got a Kaw trimmer thrown in the deal (@$400). My service center has a mech on duty and he has helped me on several occasions (water in fuel, safety switch knocked off after washing) for no charge. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed it, and know of at least 5 other solo operators with same feelings. Compare the deck, eng and hydros to other models and see if the equip is substandard. I don't care who makes it or where it is manufactured, I care about the quality of components. A GM 350 is the same as A Chevy 350 engine, but one costs more. Anyway I like my Lesco, and I'm sure there are better machines out there, but for this solo operator, at that price and the service I've gotten out of it, you can't beat it. Also to the guy who mentioned the suspension seat, I saw a suspension seat on the Cub Cadet site for their Tanks, I am going to stop by and see if the seats mount the same and if so, I will probably get one, that would sure help me out as I cut a few props with long runs and it would be nice to not bounce.

Reg

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Originally posted by lightning01svt
Don't buy a lesco! Home Depot is have a sale on Muray's :D. Do some searches on Leso on this site, and you will find the info you are looking for. Good luck.
I've got Lesco and can't complain a single bit. To each his own. Yes, a search on Lesco here at LS will yield a TON of information; most of which is favorable. Searching here & seeking opinion is exactly what I did & exactly why I bought Lesco. My 48 hydro wb rocks.

Also, to answer the original question about parts, thankfully I've not had the need; however, there Lesco has a toll-free number and a very handy, detailed parts list that comes with your machine. You call in toll-free & can have parts sent UPS to your door step. Never mind a service center if you're not close one & especially if you do your own repairs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.