Thinking of passing on a great customer

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
I am thinking of passing on of one my best customers. The property owners are great. Nice people who pay their bill on time every time. Over 14 years of servicing their property, never a call or complain. They never ask "how much to do this and that".

The problem is on me. My pricing weekly cutting is not right. The place took me today 3 plus hours to mow and trim. And there is a lot of trimming and lots of sections which are very tedious.

I am charging them $150 per mow service.
Well $150 divided by 3.5 hours is $43/ per hour. Not great.

What gets me is I mow a small lawn that day which takes 20 minutes tops and I get $50. Other lawns that same day I can mow in lest than 30 min and get $50+

I really hate to give up on these people, we have built a relationship over the years.
But I hope I don't have to explain to them their lawn service price should be like $200 a week.
I might have to.

Again, perfect customers but way under the price for my service. That is on me.

Years ago i would hear $60 per hour to mow. It might be even higher now..

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Have a talk with them. Level with them. Tell them over the next three years you need to incrementally increase their rate to market rate. I bet they understand and are agreeable.

14 years of relationship is worth fighting for, for both you and them. Have you been increasing their rate slowly every year? If not explain that you should have been doing this all along... but you've been giving them a break. However now it needs to be corrected.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I am thinking of passing on of one my best customers. The property owners are great. Nice people who pay their bill on time every time. Over 14 years of servicing their property, never a call or complain. They never ask "how much to do this and that".

The problem is on me. My pricing weekly cutting is not right. The place took me today 3 plus hours to mow and trim. And there is a lot of trimming and lots of sections which are very tedious.

I am charging them $150 per mow service.
Well $150 divided by 3.5 hours is $43/ per hour. Not great.

What gets me is I mow a small lawn that day which takes 20 minutes tops and I get $50. Other lawns that same day I can mow in lest than 30 min and get $50+

I really hate to give up on these people, we have built a relationship over the years.
But I hope I don't have to explain to them their lawn service price should be like $200 a week.
I might have to.

Again, perfect customers but way under the price for my service. That is on me.

Years ago i would hear $60 per hour to mow. It might be even higher now..
Hi Cory. I have had the same dilemma in years past. My decision was to drop all of my biggest properties focusing on small lawns in clusters.

Best wishes for your decision.

OP
Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
Have a talk with them. Level with them. Tell them over the next three years you need to incrementally increase their rate to market rate. I bet they understand and are agreeable.

14 years of relationship is worth fighting for, for both you and them. Have you been increasing their rate slowly every year? If not explain that you should have been doing this all along... but you've been giving them a break. However now it needs to be corrected.
Hi Cory. I have had the same dilemma in years past. My decision was to drop all of my biggest properties focusing on small lawns in clusters.

Best wishes for your decision.
Thank you Steve!

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Law of diminishing returns. Large lawns need even larger mowers to remain w/in the confines of practicality.

OP, I'm curious as to the size of this property and your mower?

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Corey, do you like, and I mean really like doing them? If you do then go up at least 10/cut, modest increase, and if they say no you have nothing to loose, you were walking anyway. Making slightly less on some properties is normal, market dictates the averages. Some 'good' customers are hard to find. I moved in 91 cost me 800 for truck rental. Same truck now is almost 1500. Prices do go up....

Top Forums