Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to here from someone that has or had a newer 61" ferris wb. this will take the place of my 62" toro z. It will hope fully fill the gap between my 72" and 60" ZTRs and my 52" wb. Thanks Marc

· Registered
333 Posts
I just bought one this past season and couldnt be happier with it.. I got the 61"/25hp kawi.. The machine will mow through anything and leaves a nice crisp looking stripe. My only two minor complaints with it however is that when mower wet grass, the grass more or less just roles out of the deck in a big clump instead of being shot out. I clean my deck all the time yet whenever i mow a little wet grass out rolls the clumps. And lastly with any big deck when mowing uneven ground it tends to scalp unless you lift the deck properly. But all in all its a great machine and hasnt let me down yet.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only two minor complaints with it however is that when mower wet grass, the grass more or less just roles out of the deck in a big clump instead of being shot out. I clean my deck all the time yet whenever i mow a little wet grass out rolls the clumps. And lastly with any big deck when mowing uneven ground it tends to scalp unless you lift the deck properly. But all in all its a great machine and hasnt let me down yet.
CT, my 72" ferris cuts the same in wet grass and I have talked to others that does the same. as far as scalping I think you need to use the right machine for the job. I know older toro 62" wb were notorious for scalping, but the drive tires on the machine were not wide enough. Do you know the width of yours at the out side of the wheels? Can't find any specs on that but I know they are fairly wide stance.

· Registered
333 Posts
I'll take a measurement later today but i can tell you it definitely has a wide tire width..
Today on one lawn i was doing i was throwning clumps everywhere. The customer has a very wet back yard, any bit of rain almost makes it impossible to mow. This is the yard my mower clumps up and just rolls the grass out of

Any have any solution to clumping like this???

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The customer has a very wet back yard, any bit of rain almost makes it impossible to mow. This is the yard my mower clumps up and just rolls the grass out of

Any have any solution to clumping like this???
Not really, best luck I have had is running stock blades in the really wet and rainy stuff and gator magnums in the heavy dew and crappy grass conditions. In the real rainy stuff we had here earlier this year (wettest year on record) a few times in the pouring rain :cry: when my ferris started clumping real bad I put it back on the trailer and got out my toro with the turbo force deck and it cut better, not great, but better. i have half a notion to find an old 72" toro sfs deck and fab it under my ferris for what would be one of the best mowers ever:clapping:

What did you pay for your 61" ? they quoted me $6499 and when they ran out of the 08's the price was going up $200.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the rolling could be a result of having dull blades--make sure you keep them sharp!
Maybe but I usally sharpen blades everyday the mower gets used any amount.
There is a short baffle above the blade on the discharge chute I have thought about removing to see how that effected things. If if rains much tonight I will try that tomorrow and see.

· Registered
95 Posts
Got the older version Dual Drive 61". Got it for a song and dance, (even though I don't dance!!) to do a portion of a Park that was affectionately named "Hell" by the crew. Blew the 21 hp Kawi...retrofitted a 25 hp Kohler onto it...been using it ever since. I fabbed a baffel similar to my Exmark Metro HP's on the front of the deck, added hi-lift blades..does better than stock ,but does not throw the clippings like an Exmark...but, instead of 48" per trip, it's 61".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.