1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of starting new biz

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by albhb3, Feb 22, 2008.

1. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi. I was wondering what i need to buy to get started in the lawn care business. Since i am going to school next year for Landscaping i plan on having a part time job to cover my schooling. I would plan on doing mostly residentals for the first couple years then make a jump to commercial sites during the summer and snow plowing during the winter. {again probably sub for the first couple years} and do ones i can pick up from the summer. Would you guys suggest a walk behind commercial mower, a small 21in mower or something such as john deere has with there quick track mower.Thanks for all the help.

2. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on what kind of accounts you have? If its small gated residentials then a 21inch push mower maybe better. If you can afford a 32inch commercial walk behind then do that. If you do decide to go for the walk-behind then i would suggest you get a hydro they are way better than belt driven. But belt driven are cheaper