Thinking of switching to 30" time master

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by cschade, Dec 30, 2016.

1. cschade

cschade LawnSite Member

I've been mowing with a 48" hydro walkbehind and now I am thinking of switching to a 30" timemaster. I only mow 5 yards (each an acre or less) -- 99% of my work is landscape not mowing.
    I'm considering switching because hopefully the 30" will require less maintenance than the walkbehind, and because obviously it will take a lot less space to store. How much productivity can I expect to lose by switching?

2. ZombieCutter

ZombieCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

A Bunch.

What maintenance issues is the walkbehind giving you?
    Because a timemaster will need much more.

Allabouttheyard and K c m like this.
  3. Graverunner68

Graverunner68 LawnSite Member

That's like trading your work truck for a Prius.

4. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Jersey

We use the 30" exmark a lot for lawns around 500 to 2,500 sq ft. I would not use a 30" on bigger lawns, unless someone wants to pay 3 times the price that we would charge to cut it with our rider or 48" viking.
    Do not buy the homeowner time master for commercial work. There are a bunch of threads on here about 30" complaints, and 95% of the problems are about the time master, and the fact that they break down a lot.
    If you look on craigslist for 30" mowers, 95% of the ones for sale are time masters, not the commercial 30's. The commercial 30's cost more and there is a reason why.

dishboy and JLSLLC like this.
  5. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto!

I run a 48 Scag stander, and Honda Commercial/Snapper 21s, I would hate being without the stander.

K c m likes this.
  6. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't shoot yourself in the foot. That 5 will eventually turn to 20. I suggest keeping the 48 and buying a 30!

Or a 36 and enclosed trailer. theres your storage space right there !

7. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Jersey

Take the money you would spend on the 30 and use it to fix the 48. or sell the 48 and add the $1000 cost of the time master with the $ from the 48 sale to buy a better 48.

JLSLLC likes this.
  8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Platinum Member

30s are too problematic. I own two. Give me the choice of what you have and id use the hydro 48. Lasts a lot longer.

kawasaki guy, oqueoque and sjessen like this.
  9. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Silver Member

I think most of the bugs have been worked out by now, but I would keep the 48 especially if you're in an area where you can use a 48 on the entire yard. In my area I see a 30'' turfmaster/timemaster on every trailer, but that's because all our houses have narrow gates and many houses were engineered by someone who thinks their is no need for a mower to go in a backyard.

10. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Silver Member

Why do you think the bugs have been worked out?
    Is it info you are aware of, or just think they have been fixed?

JLSLLC likes this.