Thinking spring - looking for power rake/dethatcher??

meets1

LawnSite Gold Member
We do alot of this in our area. I knows the good, the bad and ugly of power raking but we do it.

Anyway, we need to speed up the process besides pushing. I have 3 machines already but we get tired, its slow, and takes time. last year we got a honda engine, bought two power rake reals from bluebird, make a sealed bearing and welded the two together. Then mounted this out front of our small boomer tractor. Worked great but no much wear and tear and vibrating that the tines kept coming off the shafts. Take them all apart, re-weld some and go again.

Not this year. We need a better system. Any ideas?

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
We do alot of this in our area. I knows the good, the bad and ugly of power raking but we do it.

Anyway, we need to speed up the process besides pushing. I have 3 machines already but we get tired, its slow, and takes time. last year we got a honda engine, bought two power rake reals from bluebird, make a sealed bearing and welded the two together. Then mounted this out front of our small boomer tractor. Worked great but no much wear and tear and vibrating that the tines kept coming off the shafts. Take them all apart, re-weld some and go again.

Not this year. We need a better system. Any ideas?
Put JRCO front mount dethatchers on your ZTRs. They are cheap and will last 2 or 3 years. Run the baggers to suck up the thatch as you go. Two or three passes generates a truckload of vacuumed up thatch...customers love it.

But be aware, they don't dethatch down to dirt like the old school machines. I tell customers that we leave a little bit behind to help retain moisture, etc, etc. My customers are happy with the results.

gwk120

LawnSite Member
The lawn shark is great for dethatching. It has a bagger that catches all the thatch and you will get a lot.. I have one for sale in the for sale forum.

OP
M

meets1

LawnSite Gold Member
gwk120 - I'll check that out. The JRCO rakes - I hate em. doesn't do a good job for us. I hae had three and sold two of them.