Those cheap aftermarket Speedfeed lids - Stiff as a rock

RobotAttack

LawnSite Member
I have been buying aftermarket replacement Speedfeed lids from Amazon for several years. While they have been a bit of a pain to install and remove due to their stiffness, they have been so much cheaper than OEM, that it has been worth it.

However, the last pair I bought seems to be stiffer than ever.

Yesterday, I tried to push in the tabs with my fingers (failed), with a junk mower blade (failed), and with a knife (failed). At that point, I gave up.

I suppose a lot of folks are using them - any tips for dealing with the stiffness?

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
Are you referring to the speed feed heads? If so I've never bought the cheap ones because you can get the actual name brand echo ones for less than $20. It's worth having the oem one on there in my opinion.

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
He's talking about replacing the cap on the bottom. They wear out first. It's the part that contacts the ground when you bump it to feed string.

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
My only other question, is why are you having to push the tabs at all? With the speed feed, unless something gets wrapped up and tangled, you shouldn't have to pull those caps off ever.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I get the echo replacement caps only, from my dealer for about $8 per one... it’s like a no brainer... buy a half dozen and good for a while

OP
R

RobotAttack

LawnSite Member
My only other question, is why are you having to push the tabs at all? With the speed feed, unless something gets wrapped up and tangled, you shouldn't have to pull those caps off ever.
Indeed - the Husqvarna Titanium line I use sometimes gets tangled with itself, or just gets wound too tightly, and needs some help to come out of the hole.

(Much less of a problem with the Speedfeed head than with the Stihl Autocut, though)

As to the price, I believe I paid $25 for 2 non-OEM lids and 1 OEM base, while a complete new OEM head would have been $27, so I figured I would be better off with an extra lid and $2 than with an extra center piece and spring.