1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Those of you who get square edges...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowin_n_tokin, Sep 5, 2019.

1. mowin_n_tokin

mowin_n_tokin LawnSite Member

So I'll see these lawns that other guys do around town and some of them are just damn near perfectly done, like the edge of the lawns are 3" tall and perfectly square, they look like a hedge or something.. how do you guys do this??

My method has always been weedeat, edge (with string trimmer) then mow. (I'll use edger pretty much only if it directly borders concrete) This is the same procedure I've been doing for the last year + I've been in business.. but recently have been trying to change things up a little bit to try to get that crisp edge. Yesterday I tried edging first THEN trimming, which sort of gave me an "ah-ha" moment, and made me realize maybe I've been trimming the edges too short so when I edge it's not squared off. Then I thought, maybe I should mow first and then edge/trim, that way the mower doesn't squash anything after the fact of edging.

Also I feel like one of the obvious things is how healthy the grass is. I'm in a cool season climate so most grasses around here are Kentucky bluegrass and the like. Do I need to start offering fertilizer, is that one thing that'll step a lawn up? What do people usually charge for single applications, and what's a good brand/product to use for it?

I really want to start bringing my work up to the next level. I'm already a step above your average Chuck in a truck but it's time to step it up I think

zlandman likes this.
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

On my outside pass my tire stays on the concrete and not on the lawn. Then edge. Never flat top your edges unless you have crabgrass or any other grass that grows horizontal. The blower will pop that mess up and it will look like it hasn't been cut.

The Swamp Fox likes this.
  3. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Try mowing first, weed eat then edge see if that makes a difference. We also rarely weed eat side walks (really never) or curbs unless the mower cannot cut it.

4. weeze

weeze Banned

use a stick edger instead of a trimmer. don't 45 degree the edges with the trimmer. no need to trim the edges at all. just use the edger only.

i do it in this order....edge, mow, trim, blow

The Swamp Fox and zlandman like this.
  5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I trim, mow, edge, then blow. That way all the crap that gets cut while trimming gets mulched up when mowing. I use a stick edger for concrete and decently straight pavement, and the trimmer for regular jagged edged pavement or even worse edges.

GrassManKzoo and knox gsl like this.
  6. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Steel blade for sure, thick grass yep that helps too. Another thing, some sidewalk are poorly back filled, bringing them up to grade with soil will help.

7. weeze

weeze Banned

some edges are bad. just 45 degree those with the trimmer and don't worry about getting a square edge.

8. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Member

also depends on concrete or compaction.never gonna have a nice edge when people are walking on lawn compacting it.have noticed differences in neighborhoods also.some neighborhoods have nice edging which I assume had a lot to do with soil type and sod laid down and effort put into the construction.half of my lawn doesn't edge well and I'm assuming it is because of some soil runoff over the years because the concrete around it seems lower on certain parts.