Those of you who work out of a truck

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Always always have your specs (safety glasses) on when mixing. Always. I have cheap clear ones I use when I mix. You will pour something into the tank and see that one odd drop "drip" upwards dang near to your head height. That will get you thinking. Those plops that splash back up to your face even though your are carefully pouring into your tank.
You should also wear protective key wear when you're spraying. I learned my lesson the hard way. While praying shrubs with a fungicide, a drop got into my eye.
I was very painful, I tied to drive to an urgent care but had to stop and call our office send someone to pick me & get me to urgent care ASASP. Two painful days with eyepatch. Luckily, no permanent damage.

1612281227630.png

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes I always have then on while spraying, I just used to flip them up so I could see better when getting things in and out of the truck until I got a face full of 3way.

Years ago, I did not take off my boots between jobs. My boots got moist, sweaty and stinky by the end of the day, gloves, too. I could leave them in the cab overnight-- got dry--but the odor was horrible.
I was planning to make a "boot tree"--wooden pegs to hold the boots upside down in the bed near the skid sprayer. Let them dry and air out--and if it rained overnight, about once a week--so much the better. No garage. Squirt the outside with the hose if needed.
However--I never got around to making an outdoor, upside down boot tree.
Where do your boots live overnight? And your gloves?
Boot drier for the boots. I use it year round to dry out sweat etc. Just switch out which boots (mucks or leather cutting boot) are on them. I'll never go back to not having one of these. You can put gloves on them as well.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
You should also wear protective key wear when you're spraying. I learned my lesson the hard way. While praying shrubs with a fungicide, a drop got into my eye.
I was very painful, I tied to drive to an urgent care but had to stop and call our office send someone to pick me & get me to urgent care ASASP. Two painful days with eyepatch. Luckily, no permanent damage.

View attachment 427743
Absolutely no means to wash your eyes out either? The few times I sprayed in a remote location with no running water, I had several gallons of clean water in drinking water containers.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Always couple quarts of eyewash. More the better.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Absolutely no means to wash your eyes out either? The few times I sprayed in a remote location with no running water, I had several gallons of clean water in drinking water containers.
I had bottled water to rinse with, still hurt like hell. I never used that fungicide again.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Captan, Phaltan, and Funginex are known to be extremely toxic to eyes. I know about those because in the 1980s and 1990s that was marketed to hobby rose growers.

va2nta

LawnSite Member
I use a cat liter bucket filled @ 25% with soapy water. got a paper towel distributor attached to it. When I'm at a job site, the bucket is out of the van.

I use safety glove, nitrile glove + rubber boots in all time. Overall , hat , face sheild , apron , respirator when needed

wash everything except gloves at the end of the day.

Marine03112

LawnSite Silver Member
I would be little leary on storing fert in the truck cab real often. Does have an odor usually. Heat as you mention more of a concern especially with a granular and clumping.
Storing straight fert in the cab is fine. Now stuff with prodamine and dimension is a no go. Using all in the cab first is a must

Marine03112

LawnSite Silver Member
I use a 125 gallon tank with straight water. I mix in the fly. So I can wash hands etc etc. I have a Milwaukee pump to push the water out fast. I run an toro spreader sprayer with 20 gallon tank spraying at .25 a thousand. Works great for me.

grass4gas

LawnSite Bronze Member
Off topic I know,sorry. Marine, how much snow did you get? We got about 3” in my area.

Top Forums