Those that do land clearing?????

toomuchtime

LawnSite Senior Member
We are in southern Ca sparking a wild fire while mowing or masticating is huge a problem. Ive yet to do it but it scares the S*** out of me lol. Im contemplating purchasing a water truck to have on site while brushing mowing etc. it opens another can of worms another piece of equipment maintenance another driver etc! My question is what do you guys do on your jobs to protect your self from sparking a fire.

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't ask Chris, he will tell you to let it burn. Lol. Actually, I've done a few clearing jobs & starting a fire has never crossed my mind. What about a portable tank w/pump to load on front of you trailer?
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC

LawnSite Gold Member
Always in the back of my mind. Some conditions are worse than others. I won't mulch on a red flag day or a day with high winds, low humidity, and dry vegetation. Seen too many fires get away from welders and I had a machine burn last year from really dry vegetation. Even with a water truck, once it starts, if you aren't close, you could lose a few acres and your machine. Again, a lot depends upon the conditions.

Dirtman2007

LawnSite Platinum Member
Don't ask Chris, he will tell you to let it burn. Lol. Actually, I've done a few clearing jobs & starting a fire has never crossed my mind. What about a portable tank w/pump to load on front of you trailer?
Posted via Mobile Device

throw some diesel on it, sit back and watch hahaha

I've never really thought much about setting stuff on fire as I do it all the time lol.

I guess hitting a rock in some broom straw could be enough to set something on fire but the odds aint in your favor. seems like you could put it out with the machine pretty easy if something started smoking.

water truck sounds like a good idea but what are the odds its able to even get to where the fire is?

OP
T

toomuchtime

LawnSite Senior Member
Lol you guys are funny. Yellow dog you just described our weather here 99% of the time lol. Couple that with dry brush manzanita that burns like its dipped in gas and it will keep you awake. I have extinguisher's mounted on the machines but by the time you realize something is sparked in most cases it would be to late i think out here.

YellowDogSVC

LawnSite Gold Member
Lol you guys are funny. Yellow dog you just described our weather here 99% of the time lol. Couple that with dry brush manzanita that burns like its dipped in gas and it will keep you awake. I have extinguisher's mounted on the machines but by the time you realize something is sparked in most cases it would be to late i think out here.
I hear you. Usually in the summer when our temps are highest, we have humidity on our side. Last year the TX Bastrop fire decimated a large area during our historic drought.

just search for Bastrop fire and look at some of the slideshows.. My machine caught on fire while this fire was burning... I was a bit nervous!

So, yes, it's in the back of my mind.. Bastrop is only about an hour from me.

dozerman21

LawnSite Bronze Member
I hear you. Usually in the summer when our temps are highest, we have humidity on our side. Last year the TX Bastrop fire decimated a large area during our historic drought.

just search for Bastrop fire and look at some of the slideshows.. My machine caught on fire while this fire was burning... I was a bit nervous!

So, yes, it's in the back of my mind.. Bastrop is only about an hour from me.

Wow, crazy pics!

Dirtman2007

LawnSite Platinum Member
Wow, crazy pics!
before I die I'm gonna get a burn pile on a job with a flame as tall as that last one.

god I love to burn stuff!

just makes me smile :)