1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Those who Fert?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Deere, Oct 23, 2000.

1. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

Question, those who offer a fertilizer program, please tell me your program (how many steps and what you apply per step) and the brand of fert. that you use. Example of what I'm looking for, I apply 2 pre-emergents in the spring and spray for weeds at the time of the second pre-emergent application. I then apply insect control and then a fall fertilizer. So in essence I provide a 5 step program and I use Lesco. I want to know if I am doing that correctly and wonder also why Lesco has not recommended to me that I do weed control in the fall. How important is it to do a weed control in the fall? Thanks!

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Fall weed control is the most useful part of postemergent controls. For example, dandelion and chickweed are two common weeds here that germinate in late summer - early fall. By hitting these with an ester based product in mid-Oct to mid-Nov, we can start off next spring with relatively weed free lawns.

3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Worst case scenario- 2 pre aps, 2 post aps, insect, fungicide, fall fert, lime. Most I have dont need insect and fungicide. I use lesco.