Thought I mastered pansies, but didn't

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 28, 2004.

1. It sounds like your plants are suffering from stem rot, which is hat happens when plants get bruised before or during transplanting. Fungi from the soil enter the plants through small breaks in the stems and roots, causing them to rot. Plants grown in shade or poorly drained soil are high at risk, pansies and dusty miller can fall victim to this problem even when grown in sun. Pull out the affected pansies, and stir some good compost into the soil before plugging in replacement plants.

If you don’t want to go that route – try this:

Flower Power Tonic:
    1 cup of beer
    2 tbsp. Of fish fertilizer
    2 tbsp. Of liquid dish soap
    2 tbsp. Of ammonia
    2 tbsp. Of whiskey
    1 tbsp. Of corn syrup
    1 tbsp. Of instant tea granules

Mix all of those ingredients with 2 gallons of warm water in a watering can. Drench your flowers every three weeks during the growing season to keep them healthy and blooming all Summer and/or Winter.

-=KC=-

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Please don't promote Jerry Baker's unproven "tonics". Several universities have proven that he is nothing more than a snake oil peddler.

3. OP
    OP
    DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Heritage,

++++Your pansies need IRON++++

I totally agree. I went by the Home Depot Landscape Supply store today, but they didn't have any Miracid. They did have some liquid Ironite. It's got 1.0% sulfur. It has magnesium sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, and zinc sulfate. It also contains boric acid and phosphoric acid. I assume these acids, along with the various sulfates, may help lower the pH.

The liquid plant food I had been using had .1% iron, as does the liquid ironite. I fed the pansies with the liquid Ironite for the first time today. I'll see how they react.

FWIW, I spoke with another landscaper today in my area who will bring in earthworms and night crawlers (buys them at the bait shop) when he plants a lot of flats of seasonal color. He says this makes a huge difference. Anyone else ever heard of that?

Later,
    DFW Area Landsaper

4. Grassmechanic,

Hey fellow, hold up a minute. I am not ‘promoting’ any dang thing other than the green industry and professionalism. DFW AREA LANDSCAPER happens to be in my neck of the woods and I have used (from time to time) J. Bakers suggestions (generally in desperation), mostly regarding flowers and shrubs. Now, you say several universities have said Baker is nothing more than a snake oil sales man. I am not a university but the suggestion I posted in response to DFW AREA LANDSCAPER has worked for me several times. In fact, you can view pansies that I applied the same to twice last year at my website ( 3 different locations) – these specific pansies were not yielding correctly much like DFW AREA LANDSCAPER explained. The 'snake oil' application took about 3 weeks to kick in – but they look awesome today. In fact, I was just at one of those customers this past Tuesday and we were talking about the crazy tonic and obvious improvement in the pansies. For me, I have learned when you have done just about all you know to do, find and try something new – you never know.

You ask me please don't so I am asking you please don't - assume anything that's not in black and white are in plain sight having to do with my post - settle down fellow, I was just attempting to help OK. God its true what they say about some of you Yankees.

5. Grassmechanic

Hey BULLGRAZER - don't assume that Baker knows what he is doing. I was involved in some sound scientific studies at MSU in the early 80's and we dispelled every single one of his tonics as having little or no effect. There have also be studies by Penn State, Purdue and Rutgers as well. J.B. has no education in this field. Now, if something along that line works for you, keep in mind that it could be a coincidence or other factors that you are overlooking that produced your results. Could the homeowner have applied a fert? Have neighbors dogs been urinating on them?, etc. Laboratory studies are done in very controlled environments. I'll take education and sound scientific study any day over unproven methods. BTW - I was born and raised in Dixie.

6. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

There is a discussion of Jerry Baker in the Organic forum here:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=52304

I tend to think that some of his tonics will actually work, but that he is still a "snake oil salesman". Why not use the traditonal sources for the active ingredients instead of mixing up these wacky concoctions of household products? These tonics seem to be his marketing hook.

7. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I was having a similar problem as you were DFW. The pansies I planted had tripled in size since October when they were planted. The problem was they weren't producing many flowers. I had been using a liquid 10-10-10 every other week on them. About 2 weeks ago I bought Lesco's Macro 16-32-16 and noticed an immediate difference. They started putting out more flowers in about 1 week. I also thought they need iron but the Lesco rep said no. I told him the problem I was having and he said in my case the iron would turn the leaves black. He said the iron was to green the leaves up but I didn't have that problem. But the fert alone without the iron has done wonders in such a short time.

8. OP
    OP
    DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Is the 16-32-16 dry or liquid applied?

9. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

it's in a 25lb tub. it's a very fine power. just mix one tablespoon per gallon of water. it cost me $31 per tub. they also have it in 20-20-20.

10. Grassmechanic

Plant Marvel 12-31-14 w/micros is about $25 for a 25# bag. Yuo can get it directly from them on the web.