1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Thought this would be the place to ask again......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matthew horner, Dec 26, 2004.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the best way to store tt tall fescue overwinter? My goal is to use it in the spring, but I want it to be as fertile as possible.
    Thanks.
    Matt

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

off the ground in a non heated garage would be fine. If you have mice problems and don't have a ton of seed you might want to store them in trash cans (leave the seed in the bag). pallets work great.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have it stored in a non heated shop as well. Done it that way for years. Its just fine come March seeding.

4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

When i buy grass seed if the tag on the bags date is over 6 months i wont buy.

5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Depending upon humidity levels, storage in a unheated garage, with the seed in the original seed bag, then placed into a burlap bag, then placed into a garbage can with a vented locking lid.
    Humid areas decimate the aril and endosperm of turfgrass seed, particularly seed that has been moved around a bit due to the scarifying activity of the seed rubbing against it's self.
    If at all possible, attempt to limit humidity to no more that approximately 40% to 50%, however no humidity is just as damaging, so no de-humidifiers.
    Also make sure that no water can get on the seed or into the storage container.

6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Bring it to my house......throw it out, water it, and I'll keep it for you for a few years..........LOL....j/k