Thoughts abt Only Med. Duty Trucks & HD trailers?

AWilsonCreativeServices

LawnSite Senior Member
Has anybody given up on 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks with their small capacities and little tires and gone to only running medium duty (4500/450/5500/550) trucks & trailers that are either 8 lug 16” or the 17.5” axles? I’ve sold a truck or two and a trailer and some other stuff in the last week, and I am looking towards the future.

My business is kind of at a point where I’m thinking of moving in this direction for multiple reasons. Tired of running single wheel trucks at max capacity and wearing out tires on said trucks and six lug trailers. Also, I’m trying to decide if a crew cab medium duty truck with a dump bed or a 26,000 pound airbrake non-CDL truck would be more efficient for our dumping needs. I’ll need to buy one of the two (older& used, if there’s any to be had) by the end of the year. A CDL hook lift truck is on the five year plan.

GravelyGuy

LawnSite Silver Member
That size truck is perfect for landscapers. I have a 2017 f550 with Switch N go system, but you easily get into cdl territory with a trailer over 10k. I purchased several several new 10k trailers and don't overload them to comply.

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
ford has a new f600 btw if you're wanting to go with a more "standard looking" truck. We have a 26k peterbilt with a switch n go and a 33k petebilt with the same. The 26l truck can legally carry 5 tons and the big one 8. Those are both capacities ie you can put 8 in the bed. Sometimes when people buy truck they'll look at the manufacture's listed capacity and thing "i can haul that" you have to remember the bed weighs something.

OP
A

AWilsonCreativeServices

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the input on the trucks. I am at a point where I will soon have to make some pretty large decisions about the future, and always appreciate the forum's input.
Part of the motivation for this thread is that I've signed a quote for delivery of a DW Sk1550 (whenever they get them back to being built & shipped). It's x2 heavy as my current Boxer, so I plan to take this opportunity to upgrade to a longer & heavier 16,000lbs/17.5" tire trailer to haul the machine + all the attachments at once, and of course, I need more truck to do so....... hence the waterfall effect of upgrading equipment.

Of course, it's a pretty bad time for a contractor to be shopping for a 3-5 year old used work truck, as they are all priced sky-high and are mighty close to price of a brand new one (which comes with a nice warranty and the associated piece of mind), except that I'm not going to be in a financial position for that level of combined expenditure. Mini skid steer is most important, so I'll figure out how to make something like a used F550/5500 dump work for a few years. Then I plan to invest in a hooklift setup on a Class 7 chassis.

OP
A

AWilsonCreativeServices

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, I will be getting my class A. Should’ve gotten it years ago, as I used to have a 33K dump truck, but that’s another story for another day…

Hoping that I can pretty easily have one or all of my guys get a Med Card for a 19500 or 26000lbs dump, and I’ll do the towing.

Top Forums