• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Thoughts on Deere mulch on demand system?

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
Anyone buy one and love or hate it?
Hello Naytron. Yes. I bought a quiktrak 652 with the MOD. After about 2 days I took the blocker off. The problem with it is that the blocker only opens to 90 degrees of the deck. So, it bats down the clippings instead of dispersing them. (i don't run a chute also, wide open decks) During mid summer it's fine but in thick wet stuff you don't need it. Also the other issue i found is that I was opening and closing it for the trailer. I run an enclosed 12 x 60" and if the chute is open its very close to cables that assist with trailer door lift. Broke it a couple times with the chute open. Next is when it's really hot out, its about 10-15 degrees warmer in the trailer for obvious reasons. Well heat causes problems with electric and the chute would open half way/ stay open/ not open at all. So it was better for me to take the chute totally off.
Lastly i didn't see any difference in leaf mulching then i do with a wide open deck.

I think Ridin Green has some insight on the MOD sit downs.

OP
Naytron

Naytron

LawnSite Member
Hello Naytron. Yes. I bought a quiktrak 652 with the MOD. After about 2 days I took the blocker off. The problem with it is that the blocker only opens to 90 degrees of the deck. So, it bats down the clippings instead of dispersing them. (i don't run a chute also, wide open decks) During mid summer it's fine but in thick wet stuff you don't need it. Also the other issue i found is that I was opening and closing it for the trailer. I run an enclosed 12 x 60" and if the chute is open its very close to cables that assist with trailer door lift. Broke it a couple times with the chute open. Next is when it's really hot out, its about 10-15 degrees warmer in the trailer for obvious reasons. Well heat causes problems with electric and the chute would open half way/ stay open/ not open at all. So it was better for me to take the chute totally off.
Lastly i didn't see any difference in leaf mulching then i do with a wide open deck.

I think Ridin Green has some insight on the MOD sit downs.

Thank you for walking me through it. It sounds like it's one more thing to potentially complicate matters compared to the bungie method or taking the shoot off completely. I never once remember letting the shoot down on the 100 or so lawns I used to cut. Literally always had it bungled up on every single cut. My trailer is a 6x12 so we had to have it up to load anyways.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't do it and plan to mow any wet long grass with it.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Anyone buy one and love or hate it?
If you read the JD Owner's thread, or look up my threads or posts on it, you will see that I am not a fan of it at all. The quick traks have a totally different deck than the ZTR's which have the 7 Iron, so I expect the performance to be quite different.

From what I can detect, the southern guys seem to like the MOD in the stiff southern grasses, but here in the north, I and a lot of others I tried to warn off of the MOD soon found out it is simply not a good deck at all for this region. It stripes nicely, and cuts great at 3" or less, but few here cut that short. At any height over 3" it leaves a LOT of stringers. I tried every blade made for it, and even the oem wavy mulchers, but nothing helped. I also tried every conceivable combination of blade and baffle setting (there are two adjustable baffles in the rear between each chamber) The front baffling does not lend itself for the best intake of grass, vacuum, and prevention of blowout.

I was constantly covered in grass clippings too as was the deck top and floor pan from all the front skirt blowout. I wanted to like it but couldn't. I demo'd one for a couple weeks the fall before while grass was still green and growing, but apparently did not get the true picture of how this deck really does.

I went so far as to make my own adjustable rear baffles, which turned out great and worked a LOT better than the two that come under the deck from the factory. I paid an additional $700 to get the MOD instead of the Pro deck, and had to order it in. Then, once I fought with it for two years, I finally ordered a Pro deck shell and have been far, far happier with it. Now, I am $1700 over the cost of what I would have invested in this thing if I had just bought the Pro deck from the start. Expensive lesson for me to learn. I will say one thing though- the MOD discharges great in the dry, and also in the wet, maybe even slightly better than the Pro deck due to how the clippings come out straight to the right side and across the front end of the right blade where that blade can send them and fan them out well.
I loved having such a stout chute blocker, but it didn't quite keep everything from coming out at the chute when closed, and left a trail of clippings alongside the chute blocker when it was in the down position. I didn't mind at all that it only opened 90 degrees. In fact, I liked that because it helped keep clippings from blowing back and up on me when discharging into the wind.

G blades were the worst under the MOD. You would get so much blowout that you would think someone had their discharge chute pointed at you while mowing.

I still have a like new 60" MOD shell sitting in my shop just waiting for a new home.

I have a thread here called JD deck swap with lots of pics etc. Apparently you have to have some sort of PB account to view the pics now. One big reason I do not use PB any longer-

https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/jd-deck-swap-w-pics.427356/

CGros31

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yes I am a southern guy from the north that loves it. You get true mulching capabilities rather than a chute blocker. It does excellent on St.Augustine grass. I believe they test the new jd mowers here in the south
Yep I cut a lot of St. Augustine and it makes a beautiful cut. I only use OEM wavy mulchers.

Turf Kare

LawnSite Senior Member
What about you guys down south that cut Bermuda with the mulch on demand? I’m looking at a Z930m 60” MOD or 652r with 52” MOD