Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have been solo for about 8 years now. Best thing I ever did! I too, do only commercial and find that to be a good fit. For the most part I push all of my extra work (mulch, plant installs and tree trimming) to the off season. It is so nice not having to deal with employees and the drama that comes with it. But when stuff comes up you have to be able to react quickly and handle it. Like today I ended up having to rip out a ton of plants to get ready for a new install and my body is feeling the 95-degree heat now. Couldn't put this project off until November! Oh well the bank account will appreciate it once the project is done :)
If you can tough out this season with your crew in place and then go solo in the new year. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It all depends upon if you can get good help or not. I'm down to one employee, and he's a great worker and trustworthy and reliable. Works hard. I pay him well but its worth it to both of us. I let him borrow my equipment in the off-season for personal use at his home.

I like seeing the older guys still out working. I haven't quite hit 40 yet but I anticipate doing this type of work probably to about when I'm 70. By then I should be actually good at it, lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It all depends upon if you can get good help or not. I'm down to one employee, and he's a great worker and trustworthy and reliable. Works hard. I pay him well but its worth it to both of us. I let him borrow my equipment in the off-season for personal use at his home.

I like seeing the older guys still out working. I haven't quite hit 40 yet but I anticipate doing this type of work probably to about when I'm 70. By then I should be actually good at it, lol.
What’s ‘well paid’?
Share specifics?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you want money to work for you, or do you want to work for money ? Both comes with major pro's and con's This means- Do you want to be a business owner? Or run a business ... I really don't see how solo gigs call them selves a business... They are purely working for money instead of letting the money work for them
For a lot of us, the business is just a means of income to invest in other passive income so we don't need the business anymore. What anybody calls it is irrelevant.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
For a lot of us, the business is just a means of income to invest in other passive income so we don't need the business anymore. What anybody calls it is irrelevant.
I’m in the process of seeing if/what my company can do for my retirement and if those things are deductible. Seems any other business can provide retirement perks for it’s employees and undoubtedly said perks are deductible.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts