• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

thoughts on JD 4005

we were lookin at tractors...we need a bigger tractor now.. since we got the ferris we dont mow with the tractor anymore... does anyone own a 4005? whats yall thoughts on this tractor, we would get it with a frountloader and in stick.... we really cant afford more then20,000 and its at 20,000, thanks for your input:waving:

OP
I

I mow in est

LawnSite Member
so nobody has ran a john deere 4005?

EcoGreen Services

LawnSite Member
I demo'd a 4005 last summer, Didn't really like the tranny though. Everything else was great. Depends what you're doing with it. slower going forward & reverse but if you're running forward all the time it would be fine. From what the dealer said, The Gear trannys really hurt the resale now.

Ended up renting a 3530 for 3 weeks because 1500lb loader capacity was enough for the job I was doing. (The 4005 was actually less loader capacity if I remember correctly,, Kinda Odd) The Hydro trannys are really nice.

My Buddy has a 3032E for a 6 acre market garden, they are really a lot of bang for the buck. The 4005 loader capacity really isnt much more.

If you need more capacity and 2WD is fine, Check out the 5045 as well, not much more

Last edited:
OP
I

I mow in est

LawnSite Member
4wd is a must though... thanks for your input, i dont mind hydros, thats what we currently have... i dont quite like the tranny set up eather on the 4005.... i like the 12f/12r shuttle shift..... this is just 9f/3r.... the 4005 only goes like 12mph.... the tractor up with the stick tranny, so two sizes up... goes 20mph thats alot.... and the hydro above the 4005 goes 19 mph.... so ith the gears that make all the diffrence........

WH401

LawnSite Senior Member
Why are you worried so much about the top speed? Not trying to be rude, just wondering. Unless you plan to do a lot of transport driving from one spot to the next, I can't see anywhere else where top speed would be important. I also would give some serious consideration to the new 3E tractors. As someone else mentioned, they have the most bang for the buck of any JD available in that size.

Dtreefarm

LawnSite Member
I have ran one for a bit. The 4005, new name for the 990, is a bigger version of the 3005, or the new name of the time proven 790. The 4005 was too big for what I needed but like its smaller counterpart its track record is golden. Loader lift is easily increased by a $6 shim if you need more than 1250lbs. of lift at maximum hight. I had the shim kit installed in the 790 and I can now lift a 1000lb. bag of fert off the trailer. Nice, cheap upgrade with REAL results. The 4005 has a reverse lever for easier direction changes for loader work, not as quick as a hydro mabe, but something I wish the 790 had when doing lots of loader work. For the price, proven reliability, bullet proof design the 4005 leaves little on the table compared to other hyd. models with similar HP.

OP
I

I mow in est

LawnSite Member
Why are you worried so much about the top speed? Not trying to be rude, just wondering. Unless you plan to do a lot of transport driving from one spot to the next, I can't see anywhere else where top speed would be important. I also would give some serious consideration to the new 3E tractors. As someone else mentioned, they have the most bang for the buck of any JD available in that size.
ya i do travel far distances at times... i drove a hour one way the other day on the tractor we got now at 10mph so bout 10 mles lol.... and the diffrence between 12mph and 20mph means theres a big effencicy drop off some where... thats just a guss ... but i think if they had the 12f/12r gear ratio on it this tractor would do that speed... thanks for the inputs yall

WH401

LawnSite Senior Member
ya i do travel far distances at times... i drove a hour one way the other day on the tractor we got now at 10mph so bout 10 mles lol.... and the diffrence between 12mph and 20mph means theres a big effencicy drop off some where... thats just a guss ... but i think if they had the 12f/12r gear ratio on it this tractor would do that speed... thanks for the inputs yall
Ah ok, I see your point then, that would make a significant difference.

OP
I

I mow in est

LawnSite Member
Ah ok, I see your point then, that would make a significant difference.
ya we never get snow, but this year in VA we've got about 40" all together.... but i aint going to load the trailer and truck and drive in that stuff so ive been taken the tractor down the road to get jobs..... alot of people are like DO MY DRIVE WAY!!! lol ya im lovin the snow were gettin this year.... i looked at the 3520... that thing is 21,000 just with the tractor, the 4005 is 20,000 with a frountloader and everything, we cant quite afford that lol.... were lookin in the 20,000>and lower ..thanks ill call my jd dealer and ask him about that tractor though... thanks yall

WH401

LawnSite Senior Member
ya we never get snow, but this year in VA we've got about 40" all together.... but i aint going to load the trailer and truck and drive in that stuff so ive been taken the tractor down the road to get jobs..... alot of people are like DO MY DRIVE WAY!!! lol ya im lovin the snow were gettin this year.... i looked at the 3520... that thing is 21,000 just with the tractor, the 4005 is 20,000 with a frountloader and everything, we cant quite afford that lol.... were lookin in the 20,000>and lower ..thanks ill call my jd dealer and ask him about that tractor though... thanks yall
Yeah the snow down this way this year is nuts. We've gotten 2 ft. in the last week, but about the same 40" so far for season up until now.