Thoughts On Mid Size Pick Ups

living Green Property

LawnSite Member
Hello everyone I am new to this site. I have been reading posts for years and it has been vere informative. The question I want to ask is for years I have been using a skid sprayer and my ride on. I use a cub cadet xp and it’s a great machine for the price. Well any ways this year im selling my skid sprayer. I’m tired of tru greening it and im so much more efficient with my ride on. But any ways im going to use one of my sales mans Chevy Colorado with a small trailer to do my fertilizing. Do any of you guys use a mid size pick ups? If so how does it work for you.? i figure i can cut my gas by 30% not to mention the Colarado is half the price as my 2500s. i did it alittle last season and it worked out great. i got alot of looks from other LCos but i dont really care im the one saving money.!

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Nice direction to go, dumping the skid in favor of a ride on. Much more portable and faster to apply! For very small lawns just backpack them/push spread them.

As for ability of a mid size to do apps......if all you are pulling is a ride on, bags of fert, and probably a small nurse tank for mix/water you are set to go. A mid size will do that no problem. If you had a bulky skid then you would want full size.

(full disclosure I run a Dakota 4.7 V8 and don't give a rip what other LCO's say/do)

OP
L

living Green Property

LawnSite Member
I know with gas getting around 4 bucks a gallon I figured I would cut ware ever I can. I figure I would not have any more than 1200 pounds on my 8 foot single axil. And I know the skid sprayer was a pain I was wasting so much product and It took up a whole bed in one of my truck. I think I am one of the few LCOs that doesn’t run off my ego. I do what makes me money. I mean that is the whole point of being in business not showing off.lol I feel like so many guys would be happy being the “big guy” and not make a dime.lol

all ferris

LawnSite Bronze Member
I think something you would have to figure out is the cost per mile to drive both vehicles. Generally, the bigger the vehicle is the more it cost to drive. However, when you start pulling a trailer around with a smaller vehicle the cost tends to be a bit closer to just using a larger vehicle with out a trailer.

I mow grass also and I used to pull a 16' trailer around behind a 2500hd. Now I use a F450 and I am able to put everything on the back of the truck and I don't have to pull a trailer. In the end, the F450 is costing me more money to drive. However, not having to pull a trailer around all the time is great.

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
Nice direction to go, dumping the skid in favor of a ride on. Much more portable and faster to apply! For very small lawns just backpack them/push spread them.

As for ability of a mid size to do apps......if all you are pulling is a ride on, bags of fert, and probably a small nurse tank for mix/water you are set to go. A mid size will do that no problem. If you had a bulky skid then you would want full size.

(full disclosure I run a Dakota 4.7 V8 and don't give a rip what other LCO's say/do)
So DA what kind of mileage are you getting with a Dakota and what are you putting in the bed ?

I run a 2500 HD and can't imagine using a smaller truck but every one is different

Charles Cue

DUSTYCEDAR

LawnSite Fanatic
nothing wrong with a small truck is it gets the job done.
i like my van some days i need a 26 foot box truck but that dont mean i am going to go get one.

lawn king

LawnSite Silver Member
Pulling a trailer is going to cut down on gas mileage, you also have registration and maint on the trailer, tires,brakes,lights,etc. Will you have to return to the shop each day for more water and dry chemical? You also have the general inconvenience of having a trailer in tow. If it works for you thats great, it would not work out for us!

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
So DA what kind of mileage are you getting with a Dakota and what are you putting in the bed ?

I run a 2500 HD and can't imagine using a smaller truck but every one is different

Charles Cue
I get 16 mpg with the Dakota which isn't great but I know any V8 will deliver 18 or less. I like it because it is more compact and you can throw stuff up and over the sides of the bed so easy. Full sized trucks just are so 'citified' and tall anymore, not practical (I liked full sized trucks better when they were geared more toward the farm/work market). Pulling any smaller trailer the 4.7 V8 is no problem at all.

dgw

LawnSite Bronze Member
i have an old ranger we use for strictly pre ems or small resi routes

but my other truck can have up to 2400 pounds of water alone, before bags of fert