Thoughts on seeding in January?

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Normally when we do a job December Thru February we return at the end of March / beginning of April and we seed and straw.

Well, we have a grading job where when we're done grading - there's going to be a steeper slope.

We will have to spread top soil and we usually spread the top soil while we're initially there so that we won't have to bring the skid steer or tractor when we return to seed.

When we finish this job it will be around mid-january. So we're left with about 2 months of winter.

I'm sorta thinking about spreading the top soil and seeding the sloped area and stabilizing with Curlex in January.

What are your experiences with seeding in January, did the seed germinate in the spring or did it rot?

TomG

LawnSite Senior Member
We have had it both germinate and rot. Seams to be a crap shoot, all depending on what the weather does. Not sure how steep your slope will be and i know you said you were going to use Curlex but if the ground freezes and it rains the seed can still wash, leaving you with only patches that come in. We always wait until the spring to go back. We had too many call backs, not worth the time to potentially seed it twice.

scagrider22

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ive had pretty good luck seeding in January especially if I cover it with erosion control blankets, but like someone else mentioned plan on touching it up in the spring.

tailboardtech

LawnSite Senior Member
i have done it before i use lesco contractors blend it seams that stuff will grow whenever, where ever you put it. in the spring i go back and usually hit the spots that didn't do anything and with the way the weather here in Md's been i should be mowing lawns still :dizzy:

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
i have done it before i use lesco contractors blend it seams that stuff will grow whenever, where ever you put it. in the spring i go back and usually hit the spots that didn't do anything and with the way the weather here in Md's been i should be mowing lawns still :dizzy:
You got that right about the grass mowing. This picture I took on December 30!! To show how green the grass is, it hasn't stopped growing!

We had done some dirtwork around Thanksgiving, and we seeded. I haven't been back to the property but I bet the seed Germinated!

grass in december.jpg

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
I do a good amount of winter seeding/hydroseeding. Alot of the towns around here wont give an occupency permit on new construction until the lawn is seeded. Same with title five for septics can't be completed until seeded. We do a quick seeding over for the winter to get something down, but then always plan to reseed in the spring, and usually have to regrade at that time aswell.

vtscaper

LawnSite Member
You got that right about the grass mowing. This picture I took on December 30!! To show how green the grass is, it hasn't stopped growing!

We had done some dirtwork around Thanksgiving, and we seeded. I haven't been back to the property but I bet the seed Germinated!
you boys below the mason dixon are sure lucky to have that extra time for work in the season. up here we are frozen solid...