Thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Zone Talk' started by Prefectturfnj, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Prefectturfnj

Prefectturfnj LawnSite Member

Opinion on the hydro rain glue less fittings ?
    Do you trust them ?
    Do you use them ?
    If so pros and cons

2. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I wouldn’t trust them. But I meant to pick a few up for quick temp repairs, probably will next year.

3. OP
    OP
    Prefectturfnj

Prefectturfnj LawnSite Member

I was thinking about giving it a try on my personal system too see how they hold up ,

4. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

Optimal Irrigation Corp. LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I've been installing the hydro rain PVC lock for all the manifolds I've installed for the past three years. Used to use Spears in the past but had a big issue with their threaded 1" tees and elbows cracking (obv not good for a manifold)
    The pros I've found to using the pvc lock:

- faster to assemble a manifold
    - doesn't leak
    - doesn't spontaneously crack a couple months after installing like Spears fittings.

The cons:

- it forces you to build the manifold a certain way because they only offer a tee and coupling fitting for the manifold assembly.
    - More expensive than the traditional fittings.

I've found that the extra cost for the fitting is offset by the time you save building the manifold with the PVC lock. Can't say I really notice a dip in the bottom line since switching over. You can also pre build a bunch of tees with valves on rain days and save even more time in the field when installing. Overall, I recommend them.

5. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Silver Member

It wouldn't fly on an inspected system.

It's amazing how this started out as Blu-Loc and now has been introduced to pvc fittings itself.

My first exposure to this kind of fitting was over 15 years ago when i saw the booth at the Landscape show, after talking with the guy, we exchanged info. 2 weeks later, i got a box for "Orbit Professional" out of Bountiful, Utah....yes that same company . They were the ones handling distribution for "Blu-Loc". In that box, i got back then was about 500 bucks worth of various parts for me to try. I use to use the Lasco twist fittings to make my own custom swing joints. I have been using Blu Loc ever since that first sample box. I have yet to have a swing joint connection fail yet.

Hydro Rain took over distribution .

To get back to my first sentence, this kind of fitting would not work on anything for pressure as since 2012 CA water code says each connection must be primed. The primer more than likely cause failure because primer is an acid, which against the o ring would eventually cause failure. Oh did i mention each fitting needs to be primed? on an inspected job, if they don't see primer purple..its an automatic fail.

As far as I know, this kind of glueless fitting has not been approved for use on a pressurized manifold,

Would I trust this kind of fitting on an always pressurized system, no. Especially in an area around tree roots. This kind of fitting is more likely to fail since it is designed to be taken apart if necessary...That the problem I have with this kind of fitting.

Now on laterals....different story. Anything that could save on labor is worth looking into.

6. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

I suppose it's beneficial for me because my previous manifolds were threaded 1" PVC tees, elbows and by close nipples. I assume those wouldn't pass inspection either because they can be taken apart as well, and they're not primed (in CA). Nothing against glued joint manifolds, I'm sure there are more secure. Fewer points of failure.

7. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Silver Member

As long as all joints were teflon taped or n.s.f. rated paste was used, threaded joints would pass mustard here, but on irrigation side, I have never seen this done in a commercial environment.

I was talking about slip joint....which these particular fitting are being discussed.

Show you how goofy codes can be.....pex can be used in San Mateo County(south of San Francisco) as a water line from meter to house. However, here in the central valley as long as it is N.S.F. rated(for potable water) we can use schedule 40 pvc pipe but in San Mateo and San Francisco counties you cant used any pvc pipe...doesn't freeze, so no reason not to use, but the municipal are outdated.

Like i said, there's a place for everything. Its all about trust, experience and as always money.

8. top_gun_de

top_gun_de LawnSite Member
    from Germany

Code is the result of lobbyists convincing the government what is right...

Cam15 likes this.
  9. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

I just had a demo and was given these fittings for PVC, poly and drip line at the IA show. I haven't tried them yet but the rep went on and on about how the PVC fittings are meant to be pressurized.

I'll give it a shot this Spring on a random PVC repair and report back.

Cam15 likes this.
  10. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

I'm seeing more and more plumbers using those shark bite push fittings... these guys seem confident and a lot of the time they are using them on copper, which still blows my mind. One of those fittings letting loose in a house is much more serious than one letting loose in the ground outside.