1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Zone Talk' started by Prefectturfnj, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Fanatic

I was at a client's house this spring and last fall he had his plumber move the 3/4" copper supply line over 5 feet on the outside of the house since he finished the basement and wanted the POC to reside in the utility room rather than inside a finished wall. The plumber used two 3/4" shark bite couplings and a piece of Pex in between (it looked real bad).

When I saw it I told the client before I turned the water on that over the winter ice must have weighed the pipe down (no brackets!) and it looked like the couplings were going to leak. He said his plumber was good and it should be fine but it wasn't-the mess blew apart as soon as I turned it on.

Two brass compression couplings and a 5 foot piece of 3/4" L copper later is was in fact now "fine" to use.

2. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

Optimal Irrigation Corp. LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Ice weighed it down? The utility room was unheated?

3. Love the Green Biz

This was running on the outside of the house. Where it entered to the POC would have placed it in a finished wall so the plumber just extended it on the outside to the exterior wall of the utility room and drilled in.

It would seem the plumber would rather use quickie fixes than good old copper. Another reason I gave up on new construction is the moron builders who seem to think stubbing a piece of 3/4 Pex out a wall is all you need to water 1-2 acres (yeah-with 18 zones maybe). The POC is mostly in the center of the slab home with finished walls all around or the basement is finished so the only way to correct this is to chop into walls.

I leave this to the hacks-they are welcome to it!

4. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

Pex outside!? Stubbing out pex!? UV light and pex don't mix...I know there is that outdoor pex you can use but c'mon just use copper

5. Love the Green Biz

Total agreement here. I now will not even return a builder's call.

Let them eat crap!

6. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

If you're stubbing out pex to save yourself $10 of copper (with fittings) where else are you trying to save money on the build. ..