Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading jlm's thread and all the talk about straps or chains i thought i would make a new thread about it. (i didnt search to see if there was one already so sorry if there is) I just thought if anyone had questions about the right way to tie something down that they could ask in here.

So i guess i should show the way we tie our stuff down.

We use all grade 70 chains and binders. Our binders have a WLL of 9200and MBS of 33,000 and its stamped right on them.

Kobelco mini. In the last pic We usually have another one that pulls to the other side of the trailer that crosses the other chain but i had already taken it off before i took the pics.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wood Plant

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Black Tire

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
If anything, you want to make damn sure all your tie downs from the machine to the trailer are at an angle, that way one apir will keep the load from slipping in the event of a sudden stop.

The pics that NateV posted are exactly how I tie my stuff down too, I just don't do the boom of the mini, only on long trips over 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
His setup there is very different from yours.

He has his tracks tied down so he's got his 4 corner tiedown and then he has separate chains for his hydraulic appendages. Those are the boom and the blade on the mini.

You put two uncrossed straps in the back and two on the blade. You should've had two straps on the back crossed. Two in the front crossed if possible. One over the blade and one over bucket to hold the boom down.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I don't use the D rings, although I have them on my trailer, I choose to drop the hook down through the rub-rail tie down area and then come back up and drop the hook over the top of the rub-rail tie down area - that way if they chain becomes a little loose, it will still maintain grab. I use grade 80 binders, chain and hooks.......they are all marked accordingly. I will take some pics at some point and post.

·
Registered
571 Posts
is that most equipment do not have proper anchor spots. This is true of most mini excavators.

Take a look at the Kobelco mini. No anchor spot in the rear, so NateV did a pass through. (NateV not a criticism here just using the pic as reference) Our Komatsu is the same-no rear anchor point.

We choose to wrap the binder chain around the table/house connection underneath and then back through to the other side. This keeps the machine from moving forward during hard stop. Binder chain then goes across the blade and another tie down across the bucket. The bucket tie-down can be a strap since its mostly just there to keep the boom/bucket from swinging out into traffic (yeah I know, it shouldn't anyway).

I wish our Komatsu had a rear d-ring for anchor but does not.

Also, remember, if you have shoulder/bracket tie-downs, your hook should be inside the shoulder/bracket for protection and the chain should run through the protected middle. The hook can slide or be knocked off in an accident if not-there is more exposed area on the hook otherwise.

As to straps versus chain, straps work and can be strong, but when I run down the interstate and look at most big-rigs hauling a load, the seriously heavy stuff (and most equipment loads) are held down with chain and binders. These people surely have more experience in this arena than I.

My choice is chain/binder for heavy duty restraint work.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
is that most equipment do not have proper anchor spots. This is true of most mini excavators.

Take a look at the Kobelco mini. No anchor spot in the rear, so NateV did a pass through. (NateV not a criticism here just using the pic as reference) Our Komatsu is the same-no rear anchor point.

We choose to wrap the binder chain around the table/house connection underneath and then back through to the other side. This keeps the machine from moving forward during hard stop. Binder chain then goes across the blade and another tie down across the bucket. The bucket tie-down can be a strap since its mostly just there to keep the boom/bucket from swinging out into traffic (yeah I know, it shouldn't anyway).

I wish our Komatsu had a rear d-ring for anchor but does not.

My TK has a hitch of sorts which is to say it a hole in the X Frame. I ran a Clevis through the hole. I run a chain through the clevis. It works well. your right though most mini's have no good way to chain down. Some skid steers are like that as well.

·
Registered
741 Posts
So I tie down my machine with 4 chains and 2 binders and 1 chain and 1 binder for the boom,They say you should have a binder per chain,but here is what I do I load the machine hook the 2 back chains into the blade and pull the machine forward and this tightens the back chains up and then I put the front chains on with binders and tighten up and than put a chain through the bucket eye and tighten with a binder,But do I need 2 binders at the back 2 chains? here is a pic,I did not get the boom chain on before this pic.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Cloud

minimax

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Cloud

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think a horton is a trailer? But my trailer is a kaufman. Here is a pic of my truck and trailer
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

minimax

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
minimax: Thats a tough call on that one. You will problably get a different answer from everyone including the DOT guys. If i were you i would get 2 more binders and use them. to me its a pain hooking up the chains then jumping back in the machine to pull it up to tighten them. A lot of guys seem to do that with skid loaders too. It just seems easier to me just to tighten them with a binder.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Backhoes have to be the worst to chain down they dance all over the place it doesn't matter how tight you get the binders.

With excavators I like to tuck the boom down as much as you can with the boom facing rearward so any rocks flying up from the trucks tires won't take out the window of the machine.

·
Registered
894 Posts
In Maryland the law is 2 chains and 2 binders for any machines under 10,000 pounds. For any machine over 10,000 pounds a minimal of 5 chains and 5 binders are required. Also no straps are allowed to tie down any type of machine on any type of self propelled chassis. Straps are only allowed to tie down bulk materials, no vehicles or machines. I don't know what the law is in other states but that is for here in Maryland.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.