Tie rods on Snapper RER Model # 3314520BVE

Michael123

LawnSite Member
So I was doing my lawn today and was making great progress then all of a sudden I lost control of the steering and I looked in front of me and saw the two front wheels facing in different directions than the steering wheel
I shut it off and looked underneath the mower and I see the Tie Rod ends unattached and flopping in the breeze
Trying to push them back in (it looked like a little ball that fits in a socket)
But then I realized something must be missing
Does tie rod end have a threaded bolt on the end to hold the ball in the socket?
Did it break off?
I will look at it closer tommorrow but I thought I ask you guys on here so I can be prepared to get parts or fix it
Again I think the model is 3314520BVE Snapper Rear Engine Riding Mower
Thanks for any suggestions you have
Mike!

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
So I was doing my lawn today and was making great progress then all of a sudden I lost control of the steering and I looked in front of me and saw the two front wheels facing in different directions than the steering wheel
I shut it off and looked underneath the mower and I see the Tie Rod ends unattached and flopping in the breeze
Trying to push them back in (it looked like a little ball that fits in a socket)
But then I realized something must be missing
Does tie rod end have a threaded bolt on the end to hold the ball in the socket?
Did it break off?
I will look at it closer tommorrow but I thought I ask you guys on here so I can be prepared to get parts or fix it
Again I think the model is 3314520BVE Snapper Rear Engine Riding Mower
Thanks for any suggestions you have
Mike!
I am not familiar with your machine, but usually yes, there is a threaded stud on a tie rod end to hook it to the wheel spindle. Something has to connect them. Look at the other side that is still intact so you will have an idea of what happened to the broken side. Unless they are both broken then I guess you can't do that. Check ebay for the parts once you find out what you need.

OP
M

Michael123

LawnSite Member
I looked at a number of parts diagram and it doesnt show in detail the end of the tie rods
But when I looked up the part on eBay it did show the part with a tie rod end with threads (like a car tie rod)
I will look at it tommorrow hopefully then I will get a closer look if not it will have to wait for the weekend when I have more time
It was kinda dark when it happened

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Yer tie rod/s are threaded on the one end, then a locknut screws onto the threaded end, then the ball joint/rod end screws on the tie rod. The stud end of the ball joint fits in a hole in the spindle arm and is secured with a nut.
The ball joints/rod ends are made to swivel ( to a degree) and will fall apart after awhile, leaving the ball stud exposed on the spindle arm, and you with grass stains on yer knees.
They're cheaply made and the ball stud is just crimped in the socket of the joint. Some have a rubber seal/shield to keep dirt out, some don't.
Just replace em. If not lubed , jes put a drop or two of motor oil in the ball/socket.

Last edited:
OP
M

Michael123

LawnSite Member
IMG_2232.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
I did not get the mower up but I snapped a couple of photos as you can see as Big Fish stated the one side just pushes in the socket
When I looked up part it showed a tie rod with socket and a nuts on both ends
that would not work
Unless they changed the part (it indicates that)
Then I would need plate (where the balls are)to have only holes to accept the tie rods