1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

TIE Wall Please Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JRSlawn, Jan 13, 2005.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just got approached by on of my customers asking me to give them a price on installing a tie wall along the side of there propety. I have all the tools needed to make this wall sawall chainsaw drills of all sorts. Everything needed to install the wall. I have never done one before. I have done a couple versa lok walls but never a tie wall. Am I out of my league? How far apart for dead men? Anything else I should be aware of. I also have a bobcat.

Please help!

Jeff Smith

2. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Run Jeff Run run run. We have installed tie walls in the past but only install segmental retaining walls now. I would try to talk the cutomer into a SR wall versus the tie. Explain to them how the tie wall will eventually rot and need replaced down the road which means additional cost for the same wall. Install a SRW little more money up front but much less then replacing the wall a few times which will definitly occur. :waving:

3. JRSlawn

The customer is a builder. The home is in the getto. I think all he wants is to make it look good for now. I told him about versa lok and he sounded like he wanted to keep the cost to a minimum. I need so help on the install instructions.

Thanks

4. JRSlawn

even though price is an isue here. It still has to be quality work. Thats why I am asking for help. I figure I might as well try it out right :)

5. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

If you have done versa lock walls you will have no problem with a tie wall, much easier. We usually ran the dead man back every 8' everyother row alternating locations.

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

7. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeff, how many ties are you talking about? I've done a handful of small retaining walls for a builder. Originally, the builder wanted ties because he wanted to save money. I priced the first wall using ties and priced it using Versa-Lok. There was little difference because the walls were small. It was a no brainer, even for the builder. Present him with two prices.

8. JRSlawn

what about pricing? how much and how do I price it out?

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

There's been a few threads on here in the last few months, try a search, use terms like deadman (probably what Kris searched for), timber walls, etc, etc.

I know there's probably been at least 3 in the last year or so, possibly a few more.

Good luck.

Dan