TIGER CAT 2 or CHEETAH or V-RIDE 2

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Garrett1234, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Member

Hello all. I had previously posted a thread asking to be talked out of a kubota z726x. Between that thread and all my research on this site I’ve decided to go with Scag. This will be my first commercial mower and will be initially used for personal use on my property with a possibility of expanding into ONLY a few other larger sized lawn mowing jobs.
    All below are 61” decks
    The three I’ve narrowed it down to are:
    1) tiger cat 2 / Kohker 29hp efi approx 11k OTD
    2). V-Ride 2 / Kohler 29hp efi approx 11k OTD
    3) Cheetah / Koehler 31hp efi approx 12k OTD.

I realize the stander vs ztr are two different animals and probably subjective to each individual. However input on why one or the other is preferred by you would be helpful and appreciated.

And in regards to which of the above scag’s: plus’s and minus’s. THe pricing was for kohlers and if that’s a huge mistake please let me know if I’m better biting the bullet and paying more for a different engine. Being all three of these machines are expensive yet “somewhat” close in price, I just can’t decide. I currently own a residential time cutter and it’s not keeping up. I’m by no means an amazing pilot of my ztr. So learning curve on handling the machine will not be deciding factor as I can get better in time on whichever is selected. Finally deciding on a scag was a major hurdle for me. Now narrowing down which one to get feels as if I’m starting all over again. Thank you again for all your assistance and helping me with this decision. Much appreciated. Side note: I love this site and the info in it. You have all been more helpful than I know how to convey. Thanks again

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Scags are great cutting machines no doubt. I would pass on the Vride...way too much money for what it is. Cheetah is too much machine for just personal use IMO. Tiger Cat seems ideal....but again $11k for a small frame machine like that is at least $2k too much. Have you considered Deere? You can get into a 915E for $8000 perhaps even a little less. And it is every bit the machine the TC is, and cuts just as well.

Else, ask your dealer to double sharpen his pencil on the Scag pricing.

3. Garrett1234

Hello DA. Thanks very much for your insight. Since posting this thread I’ve read so much more on this topic and also some from you from other threads. I realize now that pricing was TERRIBLE i received. The pricing i received was also during the v-ride special that ended April 1st, so it’s almost highway robbery on that one. And I also learned the cheetah and tiger cat pricing was quite out of line also. I don’t mind traveling at all, so I’m going to expand my dealer region. I have also decided on the cheetah. Simply, turf tiger is King but Beyond what I can justify. The tiger cat 2 I passed on because some mentions of the smaller framed machine and the fear of potential frame issues (even though I believe it’s only a fear I’ve read about with no actual cases and I think possibly it’s TPEN but can’t recall that swears by them. But still had some fear so opted for the cheetah. I have not purchased, however will be quite soon. Next few weeks. What did you mean by v-ride being too much for what it is? And In regards to JD. I’m sure these are words for being strung up around here. But I don’t like em. I don’t like the way they look. I don’t care for any of the dealers I’ve ever worked with. I just don’t like em. I think it stemmed from my compact tractor buying about a year ago. Went with kubota and won’t go green unless it’s a big one. As they are the king of big equipment around these parts. . And I also know their deck (no mod) is equal to the scag vplus deck (that’s unanimous I think in this site). But they aren’t in the running for me if they cost a touch less and are the best. However half the price and the best I’m jumpin off the scag ship. But don’t think that’s the case

4. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

I understand the Tiger Cat is a very solid machine. The Cheeta is also very good and it has the suspension system. I owned 2 Scags. ! Tiger Cub witch has 3000 hrs and it is still going strong and a Tiger Cat that has 1500 hrs. If you maintain them you will have no problem. Mine has Kawasaki engines but Kohler is a good engine to.

5. Garrett1234

Thank you scagman52: I have heard people love those tiger cats. I did like the frame/weight on it. But being both are somewhat close in price, and the only flaw I’ve read about consistently with the cheetah is the deck bouncing into transit position when hitting bumps (which is dependent on people’s opinios of it happens or not) I felt Chretah is the correct route. I was almost going to go tiger cat. I have feeling none of the above mentioned scags is truly a bad choice.

6. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

If they are both the same price or close to I would buy the Cheeta.

7. Garrett1234

Hi scagman: Yes, they are relatively (depends on your def of relatively) priced similar. Close enough it really makes the case for the cheetah. I wish I could justify the big cat but I just can’t. I don’t think any scag in the commercial category could be a bad decision however. I’m going to use it on my acre of lawn which will by years end be approx 3+ acres (maybe closer to four as I used the findlotsize) website someone suggested. And from there work on a small weekend gig for a max of 5 properties only with larger lawns (wineries, larger private lawns). Maybe only 3 other lawns (not sure yet). So the cheetah (or any of the three mentioned in this thread topic) will be overkill. But who doesn’t like overkill right!

8. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't go wrong with a Cheetah IMO Garrett. You can check around for pricing, BUT as a homeowner, the most important aspect should be dealer support. Not worth traveling to save a hundred or so. If your mower goes down for whatever reason you want a dealer that would be willing to give you a loaner or have the parts to fix it. (Helps if you have a back up mower as well, just in case.)
    I have had a Cheetah for about six years now. Only had an issue once, and the dealer picked it up and returned it within two hours.

9. Garrett1234

Hello Ztman. That beings up a good point. I’m from a fairly small town where the go to is toro (most surrounding small towns also). I don’t want toro. The toro is the scag dealer also. I asked and double checked they service them and both dealers pressed for toro again but work on scag and stated are skilled in both brands to do so. However since they push toro, they don’t really work on the scag pricing very well. So i’d Need to travel to save a fair amount of money. So it’s worth it. I’m assuming my local dealer would have no issues servicing a brand they carry. I will have a backup residential toro ztr if/when the cheetah needs work. That’s my plan at least. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Garrett1234

Well....all my research and learning out the window. Was going to pull the trigger on the cheetah and found a great deal on a pair of mowers I can’t turn down. So cheetah out the window and am purchasing a 2014 wright ZK 52” with the big Kawi with about 150 hours AND a turf tiger with 61” with a Kohler 26.5 EFI with about 140 hours. I couldn’t pass up the deal. I have to ship em to me, so will be a short time before I physically have em. From my LS reading these are just puppies in their life span. I can’t wait to see how I like the stander! I wanted the velocity plus deck but i hear the wrights are really good mowers in their own right. And I’m sure the TT will be a dream. I’m aware the engine on the TT is not ideal, however for the price for the pair it’s more than worth it to me. I’ll keep y’all posted and thanks again for all your help during my hunt.