• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Tiger Cat II vs Deere Z920M or Z915E

Soga

LawnSite Member
Just moved to a home with 8 acres. Probably will cut 3 acres weekly with the remainder done every other week. Relatively flat land with not a lot of tight spaces to sneak through so I think a ~60" deck would be best.

Dealers closest to me include Gravely, Deere, and Scag. Reading the reviews on the Gravely scared me off--seemed like lots of them have problems. I've read about frame issues on the TCII, but generally my understanding is that Scag makes a good machine. Deere's seem rock solid so I feel fairly confident about reliability there.

Scag is running a sale where I can get a 52" TCII for 9k and 61" for 9.4k. Despite seeing much cheaper prices from folks on this site earlier in the year, my dealer quoted me @$8.2k for a 60" z915E and $8.8k for a Z920M. I also may need to wait a couple weeks for them to ship here, which I would prefer not to do.

The Scag model seems like it has much better specs than those similarly priced JDs, but reliability is a big factor for me and I worry about some of the frame issues.

I haven't cut a lawn for 30+ years so my knowledge/experience is limited to what I've read on this and other sites as well as a few dealer visits. I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts/recommendations. Thanks!

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
We’ve run scag tiger cat 2 last 2 years 61 deck and scag Tiger cats and walk behinds last 7/8 had JD and Exmark . Scag has been far superior to me which why I’ve never gone back to the others for a reason and personally U couldn’t give me either of those other 2 machines for free. My dad just bought a 52 tiger cat 2 last year has 3.5 acres it’s hilly. He loves it. That’s just us.

OP
S

Soga

LawnSite Member
We’ve run scag tiger cat 2 last 2 years 61 deck and scag Tiger cats and walk behinds last 7/8 had JD and Exmark . Scag has been far superior to me which why I’ve never gone back to the others for a reason and personally U couldn’t give me either of those other 2 machines for free. My dad just bought a 52 tiger cat 2 last year has 3.5 acres it’s hilly. He loves it. That’s just us.
Thanks so much for your response, Jetson! I appreciate your advice.

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Between those three my vote would be Scag, all the way. Definitely get a 60” the difference the productivity is huge, the wider tires on the 60” make it much more maneuverable too. Is there a hustler dealer near you? Those are wonderful machines and I think for your uses it would be the very best for you. If you think Scag is rock solid, you’d think hustler is... well what’s solider than rock... idk... but you get my point.

OP
S

Soga

LawnSite Member
Between those three my vote would be Scag, all the way. Definitely get a 60” the difference the productivity is huge, the wider tires on the 60” make it much more maneuverable too. Is there a hustler dealer near you? Those are wonderful machines and I think for your uses it would be the very best for you. If you think Scag is rock solid, you’d think hustler is... well what’s solider than rock... idk... but you get my point.
Thanks, CCLC! I hadn't considered Hustler, but it looks like there's a dealer 10 minutes away so I will definitely check that out. Is there a particular model you'd recommend?

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks, CCLC! I hadn't considered Hustler, but it looks like there's a dealer 10 minutes away so I will definitely check that out. Is there a particular model you'd recommend?
The XONE is in the price range and level of the other mowers you mentioned. However I would go for a Super Z or Hyperdrive, you get all of hustlers overbuilt components that will do whatever you need them to and take a lot of abuse. The super Z will do 14mph and the Hyperdrive will do 16mph.

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I personally own an XONEi with a 23.5 Kawasaki. It’s an extremely durable machine that cuts well and never breaks down. I have literally stood on the metal guard behind the engine and it didn’t even bow under my weight. Strange example of the durability though. My biggest complaint is it is low on power for what I do, it also has a hustler deck that is the predecessor to the current decks predecessor (for cost savings as I have the “budget” full commercial mower) so the clumping and cut quality in wet grass is very average. Both of those concerns would be answered by getting an XONE or better yet a super Z as they have the current deck and often more power. To recommend the right hustler or just mower in general for you I have some questions. Is the property you mow hilly? Is it open or with trees? What is your greatest priority, cut quality reliability etc.? When you are cutting would you want to just give it full sticks (full speed) and get it done, possibly leaving a not as well cut lawn or are you gonna go slowly trying to achieve the best cut quality?

OP
S

Soga

LawnSite Member
I personally own an XONEi with a 23.5 Kawasaki. It’s an extremely durable machine that cuts well and never breaks down. I have literally stood on the metal guard behind the engine and it didn’t even bow under my weight. Strange example of the durability though. My biggest complaint is it is low on power for what I do, it also has a hustler deck that is the predecessor to the current decks predecessor (for cost savings as I have the “budget” full commercial mower) so the clumping and cut quality in wet grass is very average. Both of those concerns would be answered by getting an XONE or better yet a super Z as they have the current deck and often more power. To recommend the right hustler or just mower in general for you I have some questions. Is the property you mow hilly? Is it open or with trees? What is your greatest priority, cut quality reliability etc.? When you are cutting would you want to just give it full sticks (full speed) and get it done, possibly leaving a not as well cut lawn or are you gonna go slowly trying to achieve the best cut quality?
Thanks again for your detailed response! To answer your questions, the property is not particularly hilly and is mostly open, though there are some areas where I would need to slow it way down to maneuver around trees. I actually pay someone to cut the area around the house, which involves a lot of detailed work, including trimming around landscaping. Most of what I will be cutting is to keep it from looking overgrown and doesn't need to be perfection.