1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Tillers

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Crazy 4 grass, Feb 9, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

I rented a Husqvarna rear reversing tine self propelled unit twice last year. I was impressed with it. I tilled the entire thing in under two hours. It is about $600. I had been contemplating buying that but figured I research first. I agree with its borderline just renting however I'd like to use it all season long in between rows and around perimeter for weeding.

I like the idea of renting a couple more to try out.

JLSLLC and sjessen like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

For the hand held recommendation-
    I have the stihl kombi km 131. And the tiller attachment. It is very powerful. I used mine all last year for weeding between the rows in the garden. I'd run that up and down the rows, ripping out the bulk of the weeds and then weed around the individual plants by hand. However weeding a large garden even with that gets tiring. I'd like to space my rows a little wider and just run the walk behind tiller up and down every couple weeks.

Side note I love the stihl kombi system and have been impressed with every attachment I've bought.

sjessen, Cam15 and Green Industry Pro like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

In between rows it works fantastically, it just wears you out for that large of a space.

sjessen likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

I'm a buy once cry once guy as well.
    I spent 500 for the biggest stihl power head and then like another 1000 on attachments.
    In my world that was a big investment.

Bcs though, it looks like the power head is 5000 and each attachment is 1500ish.

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around a $6000 tiller. Dang does it look like the real deal though. Its basically a walk behind tractor. 13horse motor! Most tiller have an 8 horse or so. And the attachment selection is amazing!! Screenshot_20200209-000129_Chrome.jpg

JLSLLC and Cam15 like this.
  5. code54

code54 LawnSite Member

I have the larger BCS - it is the real deal. My Stihl Combo is nice but not even close to being a real tiller.

I agree a rental maybe the way to go until you really find out your long term needs or maybe even a used unit from Craigslist.

JLSLLC, Cam15, hort101 and 1 other person like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

Thank you for the response. I completely agree, the kombi is nice and works well but is definitely not a real tiller. What all do you use your bcs for?

7. Markusinky

Markusinky LawnSite Member

8. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like you can run an entire business off these tillers.didnt know they had all these attachments so I'm interested as well

JLSLLC, Cam15 and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

This is the first I've heard of bcs attachments as well. I look forward to hearing more about who uses which ones

JLSLLC, Cam15 and No gloves like this.
  10. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

Totally agree about buy and cry once. I always buy good equipment and never have issues. I've used other Barretto equipment and was thoroughly impressed. Might have to check those out too.

JLSLLC likes this.