1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Tillers

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Crazy 4 grass, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

BCS is fantastic, and built like tanks. So is Grillo, very similar machines. I have a huge dealer near me that ships all over from what I am told. https://www.earthtools.com/

Crazy 4 grass and Cam15 like this.
  2. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

Here's what i say about tillers, you use them once or twice a year. Right, ok maybe let's say you fire it up half a dozen times, right? Tillers are like snowblowers in my area, they don't get used much.

If you're planning to use this commercially then ignore all of the advice. That being said, go to home depot and buy a $500 tiller and it'll last you 10 years for your use.

No need to get a pricey and expensive commercial tiller if you're just tilling your personal garden a couple times a yaer. I have a trutine tiller that is 40 years old that I use on our garden. It is a 50ft by 30ft section.

I also have an old yardman tiller that is a backup. although I've never needed it, it runs perfect and i picked it up free of charge. both of these units will my garden very well and It didnt' cost me anything.

If you're in the business of tilling daily, or weekly, then sure get the commercial, otherwise, just buy a home unit. You might also consider some no till planting options. We've done that a few years in a row, holds moisture and soil in place a lot better.

3. code54

code54 LawnSite Member

I use the BCS for tilling (gardens, planting, etc.). We have the power Harrow and it is great for re-seeding and de-weeding between the rows in a garden. I have the Flail mower and use it for cutting walking trails, trimming areas where the 50hp tractor and 6' brush hog does not fit or is to soft. I have a power cart attachment that I use moving lighter material into tight spaces and I put my sprayer (think it is 25 gallons) in the trailer and run the pump off the tractors battery - basically makes me a 25 gallon portable spray rig

IMG_0006.jpeg IMG_3092.jpeg IMG_3105.jpeg IMG_3339.jpeg

4. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you very much for posting. Those pictures are awesome. How big of an area are you gardening? Do you use this commercially as well or is this strictly for your own property? It looks like a walk behind tractor more than a garden tiller per se. The quality and craftsmanship of it just are so apparent in the pictures. Very impressive

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. code54

code54 LawnSite Member

Your welcome!
    So far I only used it personally but it may be used commercially in the future. The garden is about 12,000 SQ Ft (not all tilled however.)
    I find I use the tiller instead of my 3pt tiller the vast majority of the time because it does a better job and does not compact the dirt 1/10th as much. I will say, I doubt it could be built any better - it is truly commercial grade.

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a Maxim front tine a decade ago and it quickly became the neighborhood garden tiller. If you've never used one I'd recommend renting one and giving it a try. Working cultivated soil is what they are designed for.

They're dead simple too, it's basically a beefed up cultivator. With a heavier engine and a drag bar if needed so you aren't wrestling with it all the time.

7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Those BCS walk behinds are a work of art. I used to wonder why walk behind tractors weren't more popular until I saw this video.

What are the odds of this guy still having all 10 of his fingers when he dies?

8. BMWNJ

BMWNJ LawnSite Member

I would rent a rear tine. HD has nice big tillers available for rent.

A front tine will beat the crap out of you for that large of an area.

You could also see if there's any older JD garden tractors w the tiller attachment for sale locally. Those are great machines and are designed for exactly what you have. A lot of the 100 and 200 series attachments are cross usable except the 140 which is hydraulic. Also IIRC some of the pan 100s arent compatible w the square fender attachments. Weekend freedom machines is a good reference for the old JDs.

I had a 1 acre veggie farm a few years back and picked up an older BCS. Great machine but with only the tiller attachment it sat most of the year after the beds were prepped and planted. I did use it sometimes to weed between rows but usually i just went w my old planet jr for that job as long as the weeds didnt get too bad.

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Silver Member

So I came across this- anyone ever used one or have feedback on them? Screenshot_20200214-152312_Chrome.jpg