1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Timber wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kemmer, Oct 12, 2005.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

A customer wants me to build something to contain the wood chips, She was thinking about a timber wall, only about 1ft high, i was thinking mabye railroad ties or just like 6 x 6's and put like rebar or something like that to go through the asphalt.

any other ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

(1) block

(2) rework slope and install groundcover (pachysandra?)

(3) Keep slope and install 3/4 red stone (I don't think pebble (i.e. round stone) would work cause it would slide a little more).

(4) Depending how neat you want it rebar a few old telephone poles into the ground. It'll hold for a number of years.

3. kemmer

I was looking to do something like this
    http://www.kandslandscape.com/f1after.jpg

IM going to look at it more tomorrow, i need to see if i need to take up some of the pavement before so i can go into the soil and so its level.

4. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

Why not block with the holding trax to keep it in place if some one hits it with there tires.

5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i would stack it 3 high on the railroad ties. and drill holes and bang in rebar. i think it would work better and be cheaper.

6. kemmer

I need to go look, but i need to see where the pavement ends and where the dirt ground starts. if it doesnt end, should i brake up the pavement to get a level surface? also should i use galvinized stakes or rebar, would rebar bend from banging it throught the ground?

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Rebar comes in different thicknesses (diameters). You can get some that's very thick.

8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

9. kemmer

Have a bit of a dilemma, the pavement doesnt end near the end of the wood chips. I need to ask the customer, but what would be better and most effective. I could just nail through the pavement, but have gaps underneath. Or i could rip up the pavement and make it level, which would be more work.

10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a saw cut to get a clean edge. How tall does this retaining wall need to be? Can you get a way with concrete curb stones, like EP Henry makes, or maybe a small retaining wall for a more permanent solution?

Kirk