1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Time Analysis

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Richard Martin

    Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,699

    So I would have an idea of how much time I was spending doing various different tasks I timed myself (I work solo) this year at different jobs. All of my times were recorded during the same week at all of my jobs.

    Here are the numbers averaged:

    Time spent mowing: 20 minutes
    Time spent trimming: 12 minutes
    Time spent cleaning up: 2.2 minutes
    Time spent loading/unloading etc.: 5.8 minutes
    Total time spent per job: 40 minutes

    So you don't think that the time spent loading and unloading is excessive remember that there is an etc. at the end. This time also includes things like talking to homeowners, fueling and changing trimmer heads.

    Now if I were to hire a second man these numbers show me that I would only be able to reduce time spent on a job by the time spent trimming or 30%. Am I correct or am I missing something?

    What other usefull information can I gather from these numbers?

    Have any of you ever done this?
  2. walker-talker

    walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 4,771

    Yeah....that seems a little excessive on your load/unload time. Don't forget your drive time. Here's how I did mine. Time myself driving from my house to the first job, that time is billed to that account. Time driven from the first job to the second job is billed onto the second account and so forth.
  3. DFW Area Landscaper

    DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX
    Messages: 2,116

    I did this early last spring. My old man sat in the passenger seat with a stop watch. Everything I do is residential and I was working solo at the time.

    We found that on homes with alley driveways, 50% of my time was spent mowing. Edging, trimming & blowing ate up the other 50%.

    On homes with front driveways, 60% of my time was spent mowing. Edging, trimming & blowing ate up the other 40%.

    (There's a lot less trimming & edging to be done on a front driveway home than on an alley driveway home.)

    I've since been using a hired hand and it's basically cut my time requirements in half. I'm told that hiring the third crew member is where you really start to notice a drop off in productivity in gross figures per man per hour. But I do see motsly three man crews in my area, so maybe it's not that bad.

    Hope this helps.

    DFW Area Landscaper
  4. Richard Martin

    Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,699

    walker-talker wrote:

    Don't forget your drive time.

    That doesn't really factor into my route. Most of my jobs are together in 2, 3 and 4 home clusters. All of my jobs except for 1 are within a 5 mile drive from my shop with no traffic lights to wait on. I even have one day a week where I only put 2 miles on the truck.
  5. bayfish

    bayfish LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 641

    Richard Martin...What part of Maryland are you located? I'm in Salisbury.
  6. Richard Martin

    Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,699

    Anne Arundel County
  7. lawnagent

    lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 531

    Richard Martin: You analysis was mine exactly on the hiring anohter man issue. I posted 10 months back or so. Here is the title: mow 14 yards in 5 hours with 1 helper or mow the same in 6 hrs solo? I will bring it back up.
  8. bayfish

    bayfish LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 641

    Good density there as opposed to here. Although the average yard is probably larger here. I range as far east as Ocean City, a 1/2 hour from here, can't go much further east than that. The density is good there. I've gotten 2 calls this month to submit bids on two vacation home developments, one with 63 homesites and the other with 522. Then there is Ocean Pines (leaf removal heaven or hell depending on how you look at it), thousands of small wooded lots. The Wicomico - Worcester counties area is growing rapidly. Not much happening west of here, so I don't go looking much in that area.

Share This Page