Time between Mower Blade Sharpenings?

BrandonH

LawnSite Member
I usually just keep an eye on my blades and sharpen them when I think they need it...but have been curious if anyone else does it differently. Has anyone noticed a certain number of hours they go before they sharpen blades? I know it really depends on what type of grass you're cutting, but is their a time frame to go by as a reference? This is just something I was thinking about and thought it would be interesting to get some others input.

-Brandon

ZaK18

LawnSite Member
Part of my routein each morning is sharpening the blades on all my mowers. Sharp blades cut better, are easier on the mower, and it increases productivity.

bastalker

LawnSite Senior Member
If ya hit a rock.....Sharpen em right away. If yer cuttin wet grass all day, sharpen em before ya cut again. If yer just cuttin, use em 2 days, then sharpen em.....

MudslinginFX4

LawnSite Bronze Member
We try to sharpen ours every 2-3 days unless something happens to them (such as us hitting rocks, etc). I don't think there is any certain time frame that is best to sharpen them, just look at them and you should be able to tell when the best time is.

bastalker

LawnSite Senior Member
Tell ya what......If ya engage the blades...Stick yer finger under the deck, an it comes back missin. They wont need sharpenin for at least another day..... ; )

BobR

LawnSite Senior Member
Clean underside of deck daily (or as needed). sharp blades put on after each days use. Routine maintenance.

BobR

Top Forums