1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Time for some new tread...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The tires that come on the mower are 20x10.00-8 Carlile super turfs I like them because they are wide (relitavely) and the tread surface is flat, not buldged out and donut looking. They are getting bald, and quite dangerous... I find myself slipping in places I never used to loose traction, and when I'm above a retaining wall, that SUCKS! The part I like tho about the balding tires is that I really have to try hard to tear the turf. I can literally spin the tires full speed in the opposite direction and barely leave a mark. Turns are no prob, even in shaded areas I rarely tear. BUT... If I slide off a 6 foot wall I'm toast!!! I can get the stock tires easy enough from my dealer, but I feel adventurous and want to look for an ideal tread design... Problem is finding them. Looking for something like I have, only a tad more open, nothing like chevrons (bar tread) I'm not lacking traction that bad, lol.

Any good suppliers? I found Kenda super turfs for $36.14ea. but the jury's still out...

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you own a stander with that odd tire size? I had a set of those super turfs. Wore them out in 50 hours. The carlies have the only good tread life.

3. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I had Carlisle Turf Savers on my w/b (16x6.50x8) and they only lasted 2 years. Bought a set of Cheng Shin and I'll get 4 years out of these.