Time in Time Out app software

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Weed&Feed, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Weed&Feed

Weed&Feed LawnSite Member

I'm looking for an app for my employees to time in and time out of each lawn mowing job from a mobile device. I use QuickBooks for my billing. I don't need any other fancy features, just a way to tracking minutes for my crews at each mowing job.
    How are companies currently doing this and how does it work?

Thanks!

2. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

Are you doing this to micromanage or is there other meaning behind it?

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I’m guessing he’s wanting something instead of paper time sheets, which millenials seem physically incapable of filling out correctly or completely?

If the OP doesn’t have a routing or scheduling software (which sounds like he doesn’t) then the only thing they track or fill out is whatever route paperwork he gives them.

My suggestion would be check out exaktime
    It’s fairly inexpensive and links to quick books
    So you can just do your pay checks right from quickbooks no hand entering data required.
    It will also track the employees via GPS as well

4. Weed&Feed

There are 2 reasons:
    1. We want to do it to see our hourly rate for the season on each customer. We want to add up all our time on each property, and divide it by the price that we are charging them for the season to get our hourly rate. This will help us in knowing how to adjust their pricing for the next season.
    2. We charge per hour for leaf removal and want a better system for keeping track of those hours.

jonthepain likes this.
  5. grassmonkey0311

Or he could be a new boss "out of the field" and wants to track their every move...or is looking to set up some KPI's for better efficiency....

Either way, an answer from the OP would be appreciated so we can point him in the right direction.

GrassX10 likes this.
  6. Scagtastic

Scagtastic LawnSite Member

Our trucks are already outfitted with GPS Tried exaktime it was decent, but more than what we needed. Like the OP we only needed something to replace paper route sheets and as TPendagast pointed out it was to mainly have something legible. We created all of our route sheets in a google doc that was then shared across gmail accounts we set up as team accounts. This enables them to input routing data via their smart phones. All data recorded is in real time, i.e. a team can be recording start/stop times and office staff viewing the same shared document will actually see each keystroke as it is being entered. Has worked well for us.

7. Weed&Feed

We currently use a paper route sheet. It a lot of data entry and can get confusing.

grassmonkey0311 likes this.
  8. grassmonkey0311

The paper route sheets can be really hard! I started with those and they were a nightmare to deal with. Especially when an employee lost his!

I use Yardbook (free) and a truck GPS, those 2 give you the answers you need. With Yardbook, it's all electronic and the employee clicks "complete" after each job he/she does. It's all electronic so I can track everything I need each week and make sure the jobs are done.

A GPS in the truck can track the time they got to the job site and what time they left. For the GPS, ours is through realtrackgps.com The unit is (I think) $150 and it cost $19 a month to use. It tracks everything from how fast they are driving to every time they turn off/on the truck.

This was the cheapest solution I found that isn't too overly complicated or expensive.

Edit: the GPS alone is worth it's weight it gold. It tells the 'real story' of what's going on out there if you suspect something. If used right, it's a great tool to track where your equipment is going, that jobs are being done, and what jobs you should consider a problem (need prices raised, etc). A word of caution- using the GPS to micromanage and stare at the screen all day would not be beneficial to you or your employees.

Mark Stark likes this.
  9. TPendagast

Male

so you want job costing.

time clock isnt the best tool for that.
    Its part of the tool.

Isnt yardbook free and does that and more?

10. TPendagast

Male

how does yard book make money? is there a part of it you pay for, or do you start paying over a certain size or amount of useage?
    Or are the "premium features" what they charge for?

Paycheck wise, I think I understand from what you said they clock in from an app on the phone right?
    Does that sync with quickbooks? or do you have to hand enter data after the fact?

How easy/simple is the job costing?
    How does it work for things like multi day jobs like landscape installs or is it just oriented toward one stops like mowing and fertilizer?