Time saved 52" vs 60"

gdguth

LawnSite Senior Member
I have some decent sized properties and some smaller properties that I am mowing and I was wondering how much time I could really save from going from a 52" turf tracer walkbehind to a 60" turf tracer. I already realize there will be a few spots where i can barely fit the 52 that the 60 wont go, but overall I know I would save time. I just wonder how much. I know that I would be able to only make 2 passes between the street and side walk instead of 3. How much time do you think I could save on a 1 hr of mowing, 45 minutes of mowing, or even 30 minutes of mowing property. My quess would be maybe 10 minutes off the 1 hour property and only like 3 to5 minutes on the 30 minute job. What do u all think?

maelawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
I did the math last year. And over the course of a year the difference on a 54" to a 60" for me was $5800. Just a 6" bigger deck and i could save $5800. Bit of a difference.

Btw, I came up with this number because I already own a 54" and a 60". I mowed my yards with one mower then switched to the other the next week. Did this several times throughout the season to come up with general time loss.

OP
G

gdguth

LawnSite Senior Member
I did the math last year. And over the course of a year the difference on a 54" to a 60" for me was $5800. Just a 6" bigger deck and i could save $5800. Bit of a difference.

Btw, I came up with this number because I already own a 54" and a 60". I mowed my yards with one mower then switched to the other the next week. Did this several times throughout the season to come up with general time loss.
Wow, that is amazing. This is what I wanted to hear, I am more concerned how much I can save in a week, then on each individual yard.
So if I understand correct, you took the difference in amount of time between the 2 and calculated your hourly rate to figure up how much money is saved? May I ask about how many hours per week you mow? Also do u think I am correct in saying that it will still only save a few minutes on a 30 minute job, but more like 10 minutes on an hour job? Which will add up a lot in the long run.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
I have gone from a 52" ztr to a 60" ztr and back down to a 54" ztr. I can tell you that if you are doing mostly residential lots in the 1/2 acre or less size, you most likely won't see enough savings to justify a larger mower, maybe a minute or two per lawn. However, if you do larger lots about an acre or above, you will see more time savings where it could justify the purchase of a 60" machine.

For me, doing neighborhood residential lots, I didn't see much time savings between a 52" and 60" mower.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i have a few big yards that are like 3-4 acres. it would be nice to have a 60 or a 72 on those yards but most of the yards i cut are less than 1 acre. the 60 and 72 decks are great for wide open mowing but when it comes to getting around flower beds, fitting into tight spaces, mowing ditches, etc. they aren't very good. since i'm solo i want a mower that fits everything. 1/8 acre yard all the way up to 5 acres. so i decided to go with a 54". it's just a good all around size. i'd like to have a scag cheetah 61" for the bigger yards but maybe one day down the road. i'd have to buy a new trailer if i got one of those since my trailer is only 5' wide. :laugh:

maelawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
Wow, that is amazing. This is what I wanted to hear, I am more concerned how much I can save in a week, then on each individual yard.
So if I understand correct, you took the difference in amount of time between the 2 and calculated your hourly rate to figure up how much money is saved? May I ask about how many hours per week you mow? Also do u think I am correct in saying that it will still only save a few minutes on a 30 minute job, but more like 10 minutes on an hour job? Which will add up a lot in the long run.
Yes you are correct.

I have gone from a 52" ztr to a 60" ztr and back down to a 54" ztr. I can tell you that if you are doing mostly residential lots in the 1/2 acre or less size, you most likely won't see enough savings to justify a larger mower, maybe a minute or two per lawn. However, if you do larger lots about an acre or above, you will see more time savings where it could justify the purchase of a 60" machine.

For me, doing neighborhood residential lots, I didn't see much time savings between a 52" and 60" mower.

I dont use a ztr that much. 90% of my mowing is done with walkbehinds. I can fit a 60" walkbehind in a lot of small residential lots that my 60" ztr would struggle to do. The walkbehind does it like a champ, faster too.

We normally mow with a 4 guy crew 40hrs per week. About 30 to 35hrs on each mower weekly.

205mx

LawnSite Silver Member
I have a 48 and a 54. I have one yard that i would love to have a 60 inch on... if I get a few more i will likely buy a 60 or 72.

Lawnut101

LawnSite Silver Member
There is some good feedback here.