• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

Time spent for solo ops?

fulltime

LawnSite Member
Just curious how long it takes the solo operators with professional commercial equipment to knock out a 1/4 acre size property...mow, trim, edge and blow? I recently started spreading the word about my plans for next year and in a weeks time I've gotten several phone calls asking if i could start this year. I told them all no since I don't want to buy any equipment until the fall when I can get it cheap. (I hope) All of the callers want me to stop out this fall and do an estimate so I want to make sure I am estimating correctly as to how many 1/4 acre properties I can do in a day.

As a solo operator how much are you spending monthly just for fuel?

Thanks guys!

Tom c.

LawnSite Member
Theres alot of variables involved in your question. 1 What size equipment will you be using? 2 Will there be gates to deal with? 3 How tightly will it be routed? I use a 36in W/B and a 21 IN. and a small Z, the 36 and 21 get the most use for now. The Z gets used on larger accts a couple days a week. I cut part time and I can usually do 4 lawns in about 3-4 hrs. These are primarily 5-7k sg ft. Sometimes you cant get the 36 into the gates. You might want to consider getting a 32in mower and a larger one. I know some of the full time guys on here can do 12 to 15+ a day. As per gas usage again it goes back to routing and how much stuff your pulling. Hope this helps good luck!!:waving:

Grass Kickin

LawnSite Member
Ok, I run either a 52" or 60" Hustler Super Z depending on how
I'm feeling that particular day. For a typical 1/4 acre an experienced guy can put down a good cut in about 5 minutes with those machines. Trim the property (a normal, not obstacle filled yard) and edge and blow in another 15 minutes. Total time less than 20 minutes. I think it all depends on your skill and experience. I'm sure plenty of people like to spend a lot more time on the job. However, if it is not indicative to the job, it simply isn't necessary.
2 man crew 10 minutes.