Time to start marketing?

smallstripesnc

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm trying to get my client base built up for the upcoming season.

I have a few set up to start around March 15th or so but need many more to meet my goal of 30 weekly clients.

My goal is to get 30 clients (6 per day 5 days per week). I'm still pretty far from my goal.

I've been posting on craigslist under services (farm and garden, small biz) and I haven't had any phone calls or anything and its VERY competitive since every lawn care business seems to post on craigslist.

I've also been working on my SEO but haven't had much luck with getting higher on google or any other search engines and I've signed up for about every free business listings I can find.

The one thing I've been waiting on trying is fliers. I have about 50 printed to get me started but I'm hesitant to get them out too soon and risk them getting thrown away but at the same time I would like to beat others to the draw and hopefully win the client over before another company comes along and does it.

Any advice? Am I trying TOO hard to get clients or trying too soon?

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
You can never try to hard to gain customers. For 30 customers yur gunna need way more than 50 flyers, more like 5000! Just don't give up.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
S

smallstripesnc

LawnSite Senior Member
I figured I would need way more than 50 and im trying everything..

I actually enjoy lawn care and im very excited to gain new clients and I always try to maintain a positive attitude but I get discouraged when weeks go by without a single call or email.

Im praying that the closer to march it gets the more clients are interested.
Posted via Mobile Device

the ace

LawnSite Member
You can never try to hard to gain customers. For 30 customers yur gunna need way more than 50 flyers, more like 5000! Just don't give up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly. You can't get customers if they don't know you exist. You'll have better luck some months more than others but it won't ever hurt to let the customers know who you are, what you do, and how they can reach you. Keep chugging along.

OP
S

smallstripesnc

LawnSite Senior Member
Thats exactly what im thinking. Even if flyers dont get any calls immediately from the flyers at least people will know im around. Im just wondering if im starting too early or not.

Im just ready for spring and im trying everything I can do to get clients.
Posted via Mobile Device

All_American_lawn

LawnSite Member
I wouldnt think its to early at all. Ive been out along with my guys hitting the streets the last week or so. The only issue is most people don't want to sign up this early, they just say, "ok I'll call you come spring". Closing the deal is the hardest part. Good luck

DPKutter

LawnSite Member
Check out the post "10,000 Flyers". You would be lucky to get 1 new account with only 50 flyers. Places like Home Depot and Office Max will charge a little over $300.00 for 10,000 flyers. It is a small chunk of change considering the profit you will set up. As far as timing, I agree with most of the posters. It's never too early. I'll be starting mine in early February, but I never get the bulk of the calls until April. Many people wait until their lawns need cut and then flip out and want cut immediately. Just be patient. Also, I get my yard signs from Vistaprint, and they are dirt cheap compared to your local retailer. Good Luck :)

POWER STROKE

LawnSite Senior Member
Home Depot makes copies now??
Menards must be stealing all their customers they had to switch to some thing else to make a profit!