Timemaster arm-brake chattering.

Roy Obi

LawnSite Member
Good morning.

I have a Toro residential Timemaster, serno 3150047xx. It has been trouble-free for about 6 years. This year I noticed the engine drive belt was severely worn and cracked. Swapped it out, and at the same time noticed that the bolt that secures the arm-brake pivot to the mower deck was loose, causing the arm-brake and idler pulley assembly to tilt. This would explain why my previous belt had worn a groove into the top of the brake pad. I tightened up that bolt, which straightened out the assembly, and though it was good to go.

Upon blade engagement, the arm-brake assembly started chattering, or bouncing, like a banshee. Just bouncing to and fro around the pivot bolt. Shut down, looked at the blade-engage cable, and saw there was some significant slack I could take out. Tightened up on the cable, and it got a little better, but there is still a good amount of chatter on that arm-brake assembly. I have never noticed that before, and it has always run smoothly. That idler pulley for blade engagement should not have that much bounce in it, correct?

I have seen one or two things here about upgrading Timemasters with Turfmaster parts. I see there is no difference in idler pulleys or spring-extensions between the two, but there are some differences in the actual arm-brake plate and pivot hardware between them.

I'd like to know,
1. Is there any way this could still just be a cable tension issue?
2. If I decide to replace parts, will the Turfmaster arm-brake assembly fit my Timemaster?

At this point, I am leaning towards trying a 2nd new belt, a new idler pulley (feels ok, but might have a dead spot causing the chatter?), and the Turfmaster pivot/arm-brake hardware (if it's compatible).

Anyone with similar experience?

Thank you.

in93536

LawnSite Member
I drilled a bigger hole and used a bigger 3/4 or 5/8 bolt. Its a crap design like the propel belt and blade belts. I have made modifications to all these parts and more. everything is made so cheap now it must bring shame to the designers knowing the companys plan is to cash in on parts market. I say f them and wont buy the same shitty part over and over again. I modify all repairs to last the life of the equipment like it should have been on day one

mellowjammer

LawnSite Member
I put the Turfmaster blade brake arm and associated hardware on my Timemaster and it is a much better design but will cost a few bucks to do it. Another thing that caused chatter for me was the V-belt itself. Where the two ends of the belt are joined together sometimes the joint has a bulge in it which causes the belt to ride higher in the pulley for a split second making the arm chatter like crazy...and causing much more wear on the blade brake arm's pivot hardware.
Between the new arm & hardware, and a new belt that has no bulge at the joint, everything is running MUCH smoother.

mark22ct

LawnSite Member
I put the Turfmaster blade brake arm and associated hardware on my Timemaster and it is a much better design but will cost a few bucks to do it. Another thing that caused chatter for me was the V-belt itself. Where the two ends of the belt are joined together sometimes the joint has a bulge in it which causes the belt to ride higher in the pulley for a split second making the arm chatter like crazy...and causing much more wear on the blade brake arm's pivot hardware.
Between the new arm & hardware, and a new belt that has no bulge at the joint, everything is running MUCH smoother.
I just installed the turfmaster brake arm assembly and replaced the cracked pully on the arm also along with a gates green 6830 belt....Impressive beefy arm compared to original timemaster, cuts nice and pulley not tilted anymore but still bouncy arm assy/spring like crazy.....normal? Question: my timemaster has the bolt and nut design for the arm,not threaded boss. where did you install one of the turfmaster 2 metal washers, under the deck on the boss or under the bolt head ontop of the deck? I put mine on the boss under the deck before attaching the arm.

mark22ct

LawnSite Member
the turfmaster brake arm assembly kit I used was p/n 131-0899, google it to see the washer I`m talking about near the bolthead.

Top Forums