1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Timing Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grasscape Inc, Jul 26, 2000.

1. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Smitty,there are no belts on a Walker deck.Each blade is conected to a gearbox witch is conected to a center gearbox. My blades overlap one and a half inches.The timing I am refering to is in the gearbox. I recently changed a box due to bearing failure. After putting it together, I found that the blades would not rotate. Had to take it back apart and (time) the gears so that there would be clearance betwene the blades. I think where the confution is, is on a Walker blade, there is a hub that is mounted on the blade that has a slot that holds onto the blade shaft. Not a circle like on most mowers. So the blade only goes on in one position.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla

2. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby says:<br>&quot;Hey Smitty,there are no belts on a Walker deck.&quot;<p>Oh yes there are.... :) <p>My 52&quot; side discharge/mulch deck has a belt instead of gear boxes. And I believe that the 62&quot; is belt driven also. Now if you want to get technical, the belt is driven by a gearbox but the blades are on spindles and driven by a belt.<p>But you are right about the timing on decks with gearboxs. Has to be done. <p>Jim

3. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sorry; I figured it was a given that Walker type GHS decks had gearboxes, I was referring to regular side dicharge types like the other 98% of mowers have.<br><p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

About the mismatched blades.... To throw away blades is rather ridiculous because provided they're not damaged too bad and the tip is still there they can be saved. HOWEVER, I choose to run Dixie chopper blades on all my mowers including my Exmarks. They are a little thicker steel, and are a bit cheaper. They look the exact same,(bevel length, lift fin, etc.) but they ARE different. Because of the differences in thickness, I have to be careful not to run the two together on the same mower or it will leave marks. Just a little tidbit of info.

5. nysnowman

nysnowman LawnSite Member

MLS, Did you say you put two blades per spindle( totaling 6 blades)on your deck.If so ive never heard of doing that.What are the advantages to that.