1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Timing of mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by No gloves, Feb 10, 2020.

1. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

I know most people want mulch installed in spring.does anyone install at a different time?late spring early summer seems best time for my area as I am finishing up second pruning and smothering harder to control summer weeds.whats your timing?thank you

2. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We mulch early spring and fall, occasionally we will mulch in the summer for curb appeal if a client requests.

3. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

We have a couple clients that want us to wait until their annuals die, most of these not huge properties, but they take 30-70 yards of mulch. With a blower.

4. OP
    OP
    No gloves

Interesting

5. OP
    OP
    No gloves

Your not worried about leaf cleanups?I also would prefer fall as a second option but too many leaves in beds

6. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We do a ton of leaf cleanups but our customers prefer mulching in the fall to get the lawn looking good for the holidays. They just have us come back for the leaves. Typically around here leaf cleanups start around Thanksgiving depending on the amount of rain and weather we get.

No gloves and Cam15 like this.
  7. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

What can I say, I’m an interesting guy...

Cam15 and No gloves like this.
  8. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Now is probably the best time for the south before all the warm season weeds start popping through.

Cam15 and No gloves like this.
  9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

When I was mowing I tried to get all my mulch down before the end of March. Now I'm trying to get it done by the end of April.

Cam15, K c m, No gloves and 1 other person like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    No gloves

I'll still be doing lots of pruning in March, April should be finishing up majority

K c m likes this.